Sonoma Coast Surf #2

Another from the same day as the previous wave, from a slightly different position, but not as close as it looks. Good rooster tails are a rarity here, as offshore winds don’t usually accompany the winter storms that bring good waves.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Canon 7D2, 100-400 II at 180, 1/1600 at f/8, ISO 400. Reprocessed in the latest LR with tonal slider and Clarity moves, then into PS for denoise and Detail Extractor. Cropped to about 60% of the full frame.

3 Likes

Diane, I love the energy and the spray kicking back in this one. I would crop it a bit tighter to show all the lovely details in the wave that you managed to capture. The foreground looked a little muddy. I’m not sure if that’s from a vignette or just natural. I added a slightly cooler tint to the shadows with a grad filter to neutralize it. Nice capture. I’m looking forward to your other wave shots.

2 Likes

Thanks, @AndreDonawa – I like the changes! I’ll definitely post more, but fair warning – after much deletion I have over 400 frames from this session, spanning two hours.

2 Likes

A really powerful wave here, Diane. I too like the changes… :+1:

Powerful scene, Diane! I love that spray, the curl of the breaking waves, the green color within those breaking waves, and I also like how the swell in front of the breaking wave kind of mimics the shape of the breaking wave.

Diane, glad the changes worked for you. Have no fear regarding the flood of wave images. I’m also used to wading through tons of wave images to find those special ones :slight_smile:

Diane,

Great wave action again and the spray off the top is really the big story with this capture.

Processing, colors look great too. I do really like Andre’s take on this for a couple reasons. 1st, the large rock formation in the original was somewhat distracting for me. Interesting though, the slight crop in to the rock actually diminishes it’s presence and all the focus is retained in the wave. I also like what he did at the bottom. Little tweaks to make a great image even better!

Lon