Southern Ground hornbill - South Africa

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

These are the largest hornbill of the 30 species in Africa. They are almost 4 feet tall, and have a wingspan of 5 feet. They can fly, and nest in trees, but prefer to shuffle through ground grasses to stir up insects to nab.
Our truck bumper was attacked by 7 of these critters - I don’t know if they were after the stuck bugs, or didn’t like their reflections.

Specific Feedback

all comments welcome

Technical Details

Sony A1
Exposure Time: 1/250 sec
F Number: f/8
ISO Speed Ratings: ISO 500
Exposure Program: Manual
Metering Mode: Multi-segment
Exposure Bias: 0 EV
Lens Model: FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS @ 600

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Sounds like oversized Brewer’s Blackbirds checking the radiators for bugs in the parking lot,Sandy. Nice to see it in it’s proper habitat and I like the way it’s half hidden by the grasses. The scale is interesting, because with the grasses so high it doesn’t come across as being that large. Excellent detail in the bird.

Hi Sandy
God does have a sense of Humor. The framing, black feather detail and eye contact are every nice.
Peter

This is an excellent image of an interesting bird.
As was mentioned earlier, the photo does not make apparent the large size of the bird since much of the bird is concealed by the tall grass. One way to provide that information to the viewer is to crop it so that the feet would not be cropped, which means include a lot more grass at the bottom. I know many photographers suggest that even if the feet of a critter are not visible the crop should not cut them off. You may want to give it a try and see if it works.

Very interesting subject with wonderful detail and good tonalities. I love the setting, with good hints of detail and nice dropoff of focus. Having more at the bottom would be good, to include the virtual feet. I love the FG plant on the right, which breaks up the monotony of the grass. But in the large view, the detail in the grasses fills the space to the left quite nicely. Well done!

A nice sharp look at the hornbill and I like the environmental aspect with the delicate grass.

A nice idea about the “virtual feet”, thanks - but these birds are very long-legged to raise them high in th grass, and leaving room for “virtual feet” would put so much grass below the bird, the frame would be very unbalanced. I know this is the ideal, though -

Hi Again, Sandy. I’ve been following the comments on the virtual feet in this image. If you have the pixels, you might crop way tight for a head and shoulders portrait on this one.

Or maybe virtual knees would be a compromise??