Spangle-cheeked Tanager

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

On our last morning at the Paraiso Quetzal Lodge people were telling us that this bird had showed up the previous day while we were gone chasing other birds. I was luck enough that is showed up before breakfast and I got shots on several different perches. Helmut, my guide, was off doing something else and missed it at that time, but it showed up again while we were eating breakfast right by the window, so he ran out and got his shots.

Specific Feedback

I’m not sure about the composition or the yellowed leaf. I really wanted to keep the curved leaf behind the bird and that drove this composition. I also liked the idea of going high key with this overcast sky background.

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 469 mm, monopod, f/9, 1/640, iso 2500, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 7242x4806. Taken February 18th at 7:40 a.m.

Another nice image from your trip Dennis. The high key makes a lot of sense with the bright BG and dark headed bird. Nice job getting detail in the darks. The yellow leaf makes this realistic.

Hi Dennis, nice frame. I like the composition with the full curved leaf in back balancing out the space in front. It does center the bird but I think that’s fine in this case. Nice detail and exposure on the bird. The yellow leaf is fine with me. High key looks good. Well done.

I agree with the comments by @Ed_Williams @ and @Allen_Sparks.

Great image, Dennis. What a nice colorful bird. Great choice for high key too.

Hi Dennis,

The high key presentation looks nice and a pretty good comp. I would not worry about the yellow leaf, it seens to belong in the comp. Overall, I like this one as presented…Jim