Spider bubbles

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

An image made with a Lensbaby with one intermediated ring of a spiderweb with raindrops. Does this continue to interest you or is it a trick?

Creative direction

My goal is to show another, not so common, but unusual shape of nature. I try to look with other eyes.

Specific Feedback

Please give all the critics you have!

Technical Details

Lensbaby, f 4,5 1/300 sec, iso 800.

Description

I own this Lensbaby a very long time and till now we didn’t love each other, tilI discovered the possibility to use one or two intermediated rings and saw the results.

3 Likes

Henny, there’s an interesting “outer space” feeling here with the darker bubbles extending away from that main cluster. If there are bubbles in the black area, lower left corner, I think letting them show very slightly would be good.

Wow! This is very cool Henny! It’s a very creative image. There appears to be a bit of noise in the top left - that’s the only suggestion I can offer. Well done!

Henny, I know the algorithm hits me with occasional lensbaby ads, but i dont really know too much about them. This is a fun and interesting photo however you might have obtained it. It certainly got me to look twice and then enlarge to try to figure out better how you did it. I like the composition that you chose. Nice shot!

Henny, I think it’s arresting and interesting. I wouldn’t have known what I was looking at without your explanation.

“Does this continue to interest you or is it a trick?” Neither. There’s no emotional content to this one. It’s an interesting and unusual composition but there’s nothing that would keep me coming back to it. On the other hand, I think that’s too high a standard to apply. Most of my own photographs don’t keep me interested for all that long. I’d view this one as a successful photo.

I think you are right, Don! That is a good observation. Thanks.

Hi Mark,

I’ll give it a try! Thank you!

Thank you Steve!

Thank you, Cameron. Lensbaby is a quit annoying lens!

I love this interpretation, Henry! it truly does feel like an image of outer space somehow, or an illustration of what it might look like anyway! Very nice. I agree about the UL noise or something there that needs fixing. I like how they fade off into darkness in the lower left, just like things might in space where they are too far away for the light to strike them…Very interesting image!

Definitely not a trick, to me, but a very successful creative endeavor! I also thought of outer space right away. It is interesting enough to keep me coming back – I think there is much to explore here.

This really stopped me in my tracks. Absolutely fascinating. I had no idea what it was. It’s really other worldly. Very creative and original with nice composition. Makes me want to go out and buy a Lensbaby.

1 Like

Fascinating shot - I agree that there is probably something interesting which could be retrieved from the LL corner. Spider webs are a universe we are only just starting to explore - this is definitely a step forward!

Thank you, Mike!