Spider

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Seen today in our garden.

Specific Feedback

Cropped to vertical.
Any thoughts on composition or areas of sharpness?

Technical Details

Canon 90D, Sigma 150 macro, 1.4x extender, tripod, 580 EX II Speedlite
ISO 200, f32, 1/200s, hand held

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Cool capture! I like the vertical framing, as it emphasizes the spider’s forward/back leg reach. (He just woke up and he’s stretching??) The flash has given you very nice lighting. Interesting how thin the DOF is here, even at f/32! This close to the subject it’s just a compromise. The sharp face is all you need here!

The leaf is a very nice perch, with hints of color that repeat the spider’s. I’m curious about lightening the darker BG at the bottom.

What a handsome dude! Looks like a male orb-weaver of some kind - check out those pedi palps! Total boxing gloves. Nice detail in the cephalothorax and the near part of the legs. The X position is classic in this family of spiders. Looks like he’s looking for love!

Nice, Allen. Excellent job getting the focus where it needs to be. I don’t know how much you cropped this, but if you have the pixels, I could also see a portrait of just the head and thorax to show off the fine detail there.

Very nice look at this spider, Allen.

Allen: Although I have softened regarding stacking I’m still a single capture guy and I like your choices of POF/DOF. Nice find and a fine result. >=))>