One Cool Looking Spider

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Hawaiian Garden Spider (per iNaturalist). And as far as I’m concerned it can stay in the garden; I’d hate to see this crawling around in my house.

Specific Feedback

Any thoughts appreciated

Technical Details

Canon R5; 100-500 with 1.4 tx at 420 mm. 1/500 at f8; ISO 2000

1 Like

Great shot Allen, I always find these hard to get the entire web and spider in reasonable focus. This has amazing markings and coloration.

1 Like

Allen, what a great find and capture. The Garden Spiders have some really neat markings. Like @Ed_Williams I usually have trouble getting them in focus from stem to stern because they usually are in an awkward place for me to get to. I also don’t get this beautiful BG that you managed to get that makes him and the web stand out nicely. Well done!

1 Like

Thanks, @Ed_Williams and @Shirley_Freeman . I don’t recall what the background was, but probably helped to be shooting with a telephoto lens (always looking for birds to photograph), but coming upon this spider was a pleasant surprise. Don’t see anything like this in the Northwest.

1 Like

And my wife ans I were just talking yesterday about how cool it would be to have an orb weaver on an old dead branch she’s using for a plant support. Beautifully sharp, Allen. Using the long lens helps keep the spider from spooking when you get in too close.

1 Like

Wow! I love the detail in this photo and the symmetry of the web at the top (left) and bottom right of the photo. The yellowish hue in the background works well with the body of the spider. Great photo!

1 Like

Allen, Nicely done. Large version reveals the sensory hairs on the cephalothorax and legs of the spider. Soft BG with warm tones goes well with this orb weaver…Jim

1 Like

Allen, the details in the spider and her web look great. Her markings are very striking. Wikipedia has a nice article on these spiders, noting they are introduced in Hawaii.

1 Like

Beautiful shot, beautiful spider! I am sooo in the minority in loving spiders in all their forms .(Enormous thank-you to my mom, who taught us kids as much as she could about the nicer points of tiny beasties! Thanks to her, I even cultivated a black widow in my garage one summer; she left after I accidentally disrupted her love life, but that’s a story in itself.) I love the sharpness of the spider, and that soft, calming background. That’s one of the cleanest, most symmetrical webs I’ve seen in a long time, too.

1 Like

How did I miss this earlier? Wonderful!! All said above, I’ll just add another gold star!

1 Like