Spider's Website

Specific Feedback Requested

I think this is a pretty good image for this macrophotography critique. I would just like to know what I could have done, if anything, to help improve the final image. That would include both in camera or post processing techniques. Thanks.

Technical Details

This photo was taken with a 60mm macro lens at f/8.0, 1/200 sec, ISO 200. Flash was used during the exposure.

Ted, this is a nice close shot of this spider. I’m not sure what kind so not sure of his size, but you obtained some nice details of him. I’m not sure if the flash has made the image look more flat, or if it is the complimentary background, but wondering if you were to selectively increase the contrast and maybe the saturation on the spider would improve the shot.

I also wonder if you would like to take advantage of having a professional macro photographer provide his critique on this shot. We have that opportunity for a few days with Robert Thompson. Just a thought.

Whoops, I didn’t see that you in fact did submit for Robert Thompson to critique. So sorry to both you and Robert. Looking forward to reading Robert’s critique.

Hi Ted thanks for posting. The spider is I think an orb species which are always nicely marked. You have captured the intricate detail on the body very well. It is always challenging to try and have complete focus on all legs as it very much depends what way they are positioned. In this case I would have probably tried to photographed it straight on as you have photographed it slightly obliquely which is why you have lost some sharpness on the rear back leg and one of the palps. It is something to be mindful of when approaching insects as to what you can and may not be able to hold in focus. The flash I think in this case has flattened it a little I might have been inclined to have the flash at more of an angle and let it be the more dominant light source rather as in this case resulting more like fill-in flash which is more subtle and balances more with the ambient light in the background which tends to give a flat appearance. Usually you have time to consider the position with these creatures as long as you do not touch the web. I try not as a general rule with my own images to over saturate them to compensate as it frequently results in a more artificial appearance and in my experience does not make that much difference. Having the flash more dominant would have darkened the background making the spider stand out more. I hope this helps!

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback Robert. I used a pop up flash on this image which I realize is less than ideal. I’ll keep in mind your advice on using off camera flash in the future. I realized that the rear legs of the spider are out of focus, but I thought for the most part the legs were sharp and showed good detail.

Thanks for your feedback Shirley.

Hi Ted thanks for the reply. Spiders can be challenging to do well.