Spiny Orb Weaver

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Any pertinent technical details: Canon 5D Mark3, 40mm lens - reverse mounted, 1/250 sec, f/11, flash. A visit to Florida to see family gave me a rare opportunity to break out some macro gear in the middle of winter.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Very cool, Kathy. I really like the patterns on the top and you kept the focus on the most interesting part of the spider. A nice angle as well.

Fine image of this little critter. Great detail and the web is nicely-blurred for contrast.
I wonder if you could bring out a little more contrast and lighten up the dark head and legs a bit?
As is, the dark areas seem too stark a contrast to the colourful parts.
S

Very nice, Kathy. I have never tried the reversed mount yet. May have to give it a try. I just love shooting macro. A whole new world is there to be explored! I agree with Kathy that maybe brightening up the head and legs a bit might help. Great shot as is!

Thank you Dennis!

Hi Sandy, Thanks for your thoughts. This is a tough one since the spider body really is extremely dark compared to the back but I agree it would be nice to have it a little more defined. Because I was traveling I had limited gear but if I go back I will take at least one more item - a flash bracket so I can direct the light where I want it instead of having it mounted on camera!

Thank you Shirley. One thing I did not mention is that I used the Vello Macrofier which makes reverse mounting so much easier than it used to be! I love all the possibilities with macro!

1 Like

Hi Kathy,

I would like to see a little more depth of field as the webs and posterior portion of the body should be in sharp focus. The background is very dark and the spider’s head and legs melt into the BG so place a light green piece of card stock behind the spider when photographing should improve the composition. I like where you are going with this one and you captured one impressive spider…Jim

Kathy: It’s been a long time since we’ve had anyone use a reverse mounted lens. Old NPN maestro Danny Young (some of you may remember him as NZ Macro) used that technique for some pretty incredible images. I love the detail on the back and the pointy things. Most excellent.>=))>

Hi Kathy,
To me this is a pleasing composition with the critical focus at the front of the spider’s top which concentrates my attention there first. More DOF would have been nice but this works for me as well. A nit to me are the prevalent flash highlights on the top of the spider - perhaps a flash diffuser would help with this. I like the web and the background.

This is quite the spider, Kathy. The backside pops very well with it’s mix of drama and color. Your framing also looks good.