Spirit of the Forest

There’s a city path near my house that I like going for walks on and one day while walking there I noticed this incredible tree on the golf course next to the path. Of course I didn’t bring my camera with me so I went back there the next weekend. I waited until the sun started going down to get the tree with some beautiful colour in the sky but when I was processing this the colour didn’t appeal to me and I felt it distracted from the tree so I turned this into a black and white image.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I was obviously attracted to the shape of this old Balsam Poplar tree - it just has so much character. I composed this in such a way that it’s slightly off center on the right but leaning in towards the left. To me it kind of feels like the “Tree Spirit” came from the rear right and is interacting with something unknown just out of frame to the left but maybe that’s just me anthropomorphizing.

Technical Details

4 Likes

Tom, your image tells his own story. The B&W is a perfect choice I think.I tried to make a Haiku.
I hope it fits this telling image.

Left alone behind
Calling others at the far
His family trees

1 Like

I like the B&W treatment, Tom. Your composition is quite strong too. This is very engaging. Well done.

I find the composition very pleasing. I also had a reaction of thinking the tree was trying to communicate with something/someone. I wonder what about?

Tom,

What a fantastic tree! It’s so very expressive and I can easily see why you went so anthropomorphic! Even before reading your comments I immediately thought of two movies featuring humanized trees - The apple orchard in Wizard of Oz, and the original Lord of the Rings.

And great choice with the b&w. I totally agree the color would have been a distraction. You couldn’t have asked for a more complimentary sky as well.

I think perhaps one of my favorites of yours. Love this! And no nits or suggestions!

Lon

@Ben_van_der_Sande - great Haiku too!

Hi Tom,

This is a very strong image, well composed and great tonality across the image. Totally agree that color would have weakened this image too much. It’s fantastic!

The BW and subject tell a strong story of long years weathering the storms, survival, wisdom. You can read a lot in to this image!!!

The only thing I might suggest is to clone out the line of footsteps coming in from the right hand side.

This looks very much like a tree I wouldn’t want to camp under for fear it might come alive at night and do me harm. :wink: The image is gorgeous and perfectly processed. The b&w treatment is perfect for this one, too. It keeps the focus on the lovely composition and wonderful textures throughout the image. Outstanding, Tom!

@Ben_van_der_Sande , @David_Bostock , @DeanRoyer @Lon_Overacker , @John_Pedersen and @Bret_Edge - Thank you all for the feedback and the kind words!

Ben, your Haikus are great and always make me smile. I didn’t have the energy to come up with one for this image but I think I’ll go back and do it when I concentrate on it.

Lon, I thought of the Ents, the trees from the Lord of the Rings when I saw this tree but also the Whomping Willow from Harry Potter.

John, I debated whether to clone the animal trail to the tree or not but in the end I left it in. I though t it suited my story better – that is that the tree came in from the right but if one looks at this more objectively so that the tree is just a tree then I agree that the image might be stronger without it.

This is an excellent image in my opinion. Yes, the tree has a humanoid form with splintered arms and a headless torso. But it’s the supporting elements that caught my eye. I particularly like that horizontal row pines in the background for their dark tonal values. The strong layers of light and dark give it that magic that many of Ansell Adams images posses. He seemed to be the master or arranging tonal values so beautifully within a frame. This image has that quality I think. The undulating land in contrast with that splintered tree is so well done. I just love this image.

Thank you @Igor_Doncov for your comments and I’m glad that you like the image. This was a good lesson for me that taught me about the plusses and minuses of colour. Even though I waited until sunset so that the sky would be filled with colour I chose to get rid of all of it in the end because it ended up being a distraction from the story of the image.