Spring Color

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Some lovely spring color on a rainy drizzly April day. Although the muted tones of spring color don’t usually rival those in the fall; I find them quite beautiful and soothing for the soul. For me, I enjoy shooting images like this in a light rain and find them to be tranquil and relaxing.

Specific Feedback

All C&C is welcome and appreciated.

Technical Details

Nikon D800, Nikon 80-200 @ 135 mm, f 20 @ 1/20 sec, ISO 400, CPL, cable release & tripod.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Wow, Ed! This is really good. It’s so artistic. Splashes of bright yellow over the brown and darker lines in the background. It’s impressionistic yet sharp at the same time. It’s in the style and genre of Eliot Porter. I love the fact that it’s just shades of warm colors. I also like how it trails off from left to right, bottom left to upper right. The left and bottom right are planar with two dimensional shapes but the upper right gives depth to the image, depth and distance.

A couple of things. I feel a white bg shows off this image better than the default NPN black. I also felt it needed some more room at the bottom but when I added it with fill-contentaware an noticeable line of shade appears. Nevertheless, here is an idea.

2 Likes

Ed,

Fantastic photograph full of detail and subtle but beautiful color. The mist at the top of the frame provides a wonderful atmosphere highlighting the emergence of spring from winter. Well done.

1 Like

An interesting, muted, take on spring colors. The mist certainly works well with the more subtle colors in the image. It does have the feeling of a painting, I think, in part, because the mist has the effect of flattening the image out and also suppressing some of the fine details. Nice work!

1 Like

A very lovely contrast of the leftover winter browns against the first hint of spring. At first impression I felt it was more 50-50 than I prefer, but then I saw the midsection has such a nice diagonal.

A day like this can be pure poetry! I wonder if you stepped past the FG vegetation and did some studies focused more on the trees? Maybe more of a challenge than it looks, though.

1 Like

Lovely spring scene Ed. My kinda image. Love the muted colors and the BG mist adds a painterly look.
:metal:

1 Like

Many thanks everyone @Igor_Doncov, @Youssef_Ismail, @WillR, @Diane_Miller and @Michael_Lowe for your thoughtful C&C as it is always appreciated.

@Igor_Doncov : Thanks for the kind words and taking the time to do a rework. I will play around and try to add some canvas at the bottom edge.

@Diane_Miller : I hear you; rainy drizzly days are probably my favorite time to go out and capture images. Unfortunately I couldn’t get any closer as this is private property and they had a ton of no trespassing signs on the surrounding trees along the roadway. Now if I can just swing getting the Nikon 100-400. :smiley:

I too find this exquisite Ed. I try to keep an eye out for these painterly images, and typically come up empty; I’m jealous. I love the color seems to mix and flow, with just enough subtle detail to enchant the eye.

1 Like

Thank you for the kind words @John_Williams; always appreciated. I come up empty quite a bit when looking for these types of scenes, but it is so much sweeter when they do succeed.