Spring in a Wet Woodland

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 7D, 10-22 @ 13, 1/200 @ f7.1, ISO 400

A wet woodland, largely consisting of crack willows, with cow parsley flourishing in the Spring sunshine. The woods lie close to a major river, and they produce a rich, ragged undergrowth, making it difficult to find spots to photograph. I don’t know whether this image gives a sense of their character.

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Well, if this doesn’t say Spring I don’t know what does. Spring is really a time of rebirth and those greens say it perfectly. I’m a big fan of Queen Anne’s lace which are sprinkled from the left. I think the dappled light is really great, both the shadows on the trees and the highlights on the brush. A very slight crop of the right edge eliminating the rightmost tree and bright bush below it might make a small difference. A couple of white flowers on left edge and bottom could be content aware filled, but that’s just cleanup. Basically it’s a gorgeous image with a lot of emotional impact.

Ian,

Quite a lovely spring time image. Igor’s comments pretty summarize things nicely. I’m really enjoying the spring greens (of course) and the dappled light is wonderful.

I’m really enjoying this as presented. I would agree with a small bit of cleanup, including cloning out the flowers on the lower left edge, but that’s minor. for me, I wouldn’t crop as I think both trees, left and right, frame the scene nicely.

Lovely spring image, beautifully processed.

Lon

Thank you @Igor_Doncov and @Lon_Overacker for comments and suggestions - much appreciated.

Ian, I agree, this image does a wonderful job of telling a nature story about spring, the yellow greens here are marvelous. I do like the warm light on the trees and the dappled light in the center of the image, they create a lot of interest. This looks like it may not have been easy to process for contrast and exposure with all this dappled light, but I think you handled it very well. I think the crop suggested by @Igor_Doncov, and some of the minor cleanup suggested by @Lon_Overacker would take this up a notch, and would be worth doing.