Trillium afloat

Image 7
Lush spring growth

Image 8
Reflection of the new leaves on the trunk

Image 9
Dappled sun along the path

Project Description

Robin Hill is a small forest that with the exception of defined paths is left in its natural state. On my daily walks there with my dog who is on a squirrel quest I have found both small and large scenes that I wanted to share with others. It is my first attempt to capture these scenes using only my iPhone and only when on one of my morning walks.

Self Critique

I like this project because rather than being all caught up in the technical aspects of the camera I was simply capturing the scenes that made me slow and think that is beautiful. I am wondering if I have enough variety in this project.

Creative Direction

I am really looking for a style and trying to show the viewer if you stop and look around there is beauty in small scenes and large vistas.

Specific Feedback

Conceptul and technical

Intent of the project

Gallery on your website

Hi Peggy,

It looks like a beautiful forest.

As a first impression, I was captivated by all that green in your images. I like your compositions, and overall I think the series enhances the single images and give them context.

Since you took the images with an iPhone’s camera, I’m focusing on the content of the images rather than on quality aspects (i.e. shadows, tints, HDR execution and other stuff that phone cameras might be prone to). With that said, I can totally relate to that feeling you described, of being free from heavy equipment and just focus on collecting these scenes you saw.

I like that the first image gives a wider view, with the green foliage and the flowering bushes in the same frame. And your choice to go into more intimate scenes in images 2 and 3. Usually an opening image should be very strong, and I’m not sure #1 is strong “enough”, but I think as a group of images they work nicely together.

Personally I think #4 is not as strong as the rest, and since it shows a similar scene to #5, I’d consider staying with #5 only.
Same for #7 and #9. I think #9 is much stronger than #7 due to the light and the S shaped trail. Since they show a similar scene, I think I’d consider staying with #9.
#8 shows a beautiful small scene, and so is #6.
As a thought, I’m not sure if #6 fits the rest of the images. On one hand, it talks more about the flower than about the green forest. On the other hand, the reflection of the trees does provide a connection to the other images.

Another thought - most of your series is vertical, except for the first image. I think it would make your series stronger if you either stick with one format, or alternatively - add several more horizontal images to break the uniformity (might be controversial, I think most would prefer to view a series with a single format).

Really enjoyed starting my day with seeing all that green.

• edit: just noticed it’s your first post here. Welcome to the community, I hope you enjoy this wonderful community and the wealth of knowledge it offers.

Thanks Tom your feedback is very helpful, and I think spot on. I agree on #6 and have a number of other flower photos that I will include if I do a photo book. Image #1 will be the wrap cover for the photo book so I will probably stick with the one format inside. Again, thank you for your thoughtful comments.
Peggy

Peggy,

Wow, your first post and you jumped right in with a Project! Kudos to you for taking the leap. And so Welcome to NPN! Great to have you here!

And kudos to you - not because you used your phone… but because it reveals, as you intended to capture the moment, your reaction to the scene - without being held back on the technology - or the physical nature of slugging around the pack and tripod. I think the result is your vision - and not just technology captures - if that makes sense.

A terrific set of images, all of which contribute to the theme of the forest you love and enjoy so much.

Starting with your opening image - it’s a wonderful landscape image. Given your thought of this being an opening/cover image that perhaps may wrap front to back… I think being the only horizontal still works with your set of images - if anything, the opening, the beginning and the rest of the image naturally follow, regardless that they’re all vertical.

Individually, I agree with the comments on #6. While there is a connection to the forest, I’m not sure it fits completely as a companion to the others. But of course it stands alone on it’s own.
#4 is perhaps the weakest. I think simply because of the composition where the path is on the edge, not really contributing; the flowers, ferns and greenery in general all kinda run together in this one.
I really like #7 with the path leading the viewer in to the scene. This one, IMHO, could be processed a little bit more, maybe dropping the luminosity/exposure a 1/2 stop or so? I dunno, maybe not, but seems to be processed a little differently. Definitely like the iamge.

I like the silhouetted tree in #3 and the strenght and power of the old growth in #2 comes across nicely as well.

I think you have certainly achieved your goal here. Great job and thanks for posting your first Project here! We look forward to more and your participation!

Welcome!

Thanks Lon the feedback is greatly appreciated. I am definitely going to back to #7 and look at the processing because you are right it does have a different feel. I think I will pull #6 and if I go to a book it will have two chapters; the forest and the flowers of the forest. Thanks again.

1 Like