Spring Peonies

I heard Trader Joe’s was selling Peonies in Southern California so I stopped in to buy some. They were quite fresh, not opened yet, promising various stages ahead to photograph. This is my favorite shot showing the shapes and colors against the old copper vase and black background.

Specific Feedback Requested

I welcome all comments!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Olympus OMD Mark II, Olympus 60mm macro lens, ISO 200, f4, 1/25 sec. Tripod and remote shutter, Topaz AI sharpening

3 Likes

Ann Marie: This is lovely. Reminds me of the work of an old NPN colleague Pat Sampson who did some marvelous work with still lifes. Really good lighting and a perfect exposure. Most excellent. >=))>

Very pretty. The soft detailed flowers really stand out from the bg. I am surprised at the dof.

Gorgeous detail, Ann Marie. Love the affect soft lighting gives to the flowers. Very nicely done.

This is so lovely! The lighting is wonderful. The choice of the round-ish vase was perfect because the shape mimics the rounded shape of the flowers.

Lovely flowers and great lighting. The details are excellent. dof looks great for an aperture of f/4. The dark background brings out the flowers very well.

@Bill_Fach , @David_Leroy , @linda_mellor , @ravi , @Bonnie_Lampley : Thank you all for commenting! I double checked the aperture at f4. The sharpening AI did help. It is so helpful to get your thoughts regarding lighting and the vase shape.

All the elements in this image work well together. Elegant and pleasing presentation. Love the copper vase and the dark lighting . Dramatic feel.

I am late to this one, but I just have to say that this is just an amazing image! The lighting, colors and details of the flowers are just perfect, and the choice of vase and BG adds to the quality of the image.

@Patricia_Brundage , @Ola_Jovall , Thank you both for taking the time to comment! I spent 3 days photographing these peonies. I was pleased to see all lacy texture once they fully opened. After several tries I got an arrangement that I liked. I am having fun shopping in nearby antique markets for vases and pots that will not reflect the light so much. My background is black velvet.

2 Likes