Spring Runoff

Was originally expecting to shoot this waterfall from the more common view from the base at the river level but due to heavy spring runoff a small secondary waterfall appeared allowing me to be a bit more creative.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D5200 Tokina 11-16mm, 1/2s, f/22, 11mm, ISO 100 with a cpl filter

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Very nice composition, Michael. I like the visual flow coming from the top right down to the waterfall in the BG. The secondary waterfall, however, throws me off a little bit. I initially thought that it was some sort of shaft of light . I get the hint of what it is when I see the surface of the water in the base. I am not quite sure if there is any way to make it look more natural especially around the trees, perhaps a selective increase in contrast in that area? FWIW, I think it works as a stopper to the right side of the image so I think it’s worth looking into what would make it look more “natural” (not that it’s not natural as presented). Others might have other suggestions.

1 Like

What a great scene!

I agree in that I also thought that the second waterfall was a beam of light. To me it takes away from the main waterfall. But it does make your image unique

1 Like

I also like the scene. There is a lot of potential for different compositions here and I like the angle you chose to shoot the scene. The secondary waterfall is very distracting to me for a couple of reasons. First because I was not sure what it was at first until I analyzed the scene. Secondly the top of the secondary waterfall blends in with the sky so it looks like it is coming out of thin air.

1 Like

That is a good point.

Michael, your use of the secondary falls adds a touch of intrigue/challenge as it makes the viewer stop and think about what is going on. The main falls is a beauty with all the spring greens looking very good. Nice job holding tones in the underside of the overhang.

Michael,

A wonderful view and somewhat of a unique perspective and set up. Agree with the comments so far and can see how the secondary fall and how it appears out of thin air… appears like a beam of light.

Just enough detail in the upper section and overall processed very nicely. No nits or suggestions.

Lon