Springtime flowers with the bees

I was hoping to catch this bee a little closer to the bottom flower but sometimes it does not work that way. I was not shooting high speed shooting. I like the bee where there is enough focus but also some movement effect. I was wondering how to crop this and if anything else could be done. There were a lot of bees around the spring poppies so I can easily go back.

Canon 90D 100-400 at 400 1/800 f/11 iso 500. handheld. no flash

1 Like

Dean, the color match between the bee and the poppies looks great. The bee and lower flower are nicely sharp. It would be nice to have a bit more space above the bee, but I’m well aware that in shots like this you take what is given, not what you wish for…

1 Like

Dean, I love the colors in this a lot. The yellows on the bee are brought out more it seems with him flying over the pretty yellow flowers. Nice details where they need to be. Like Mark, I would have loved more space at the top around the bee, and I know that there are folks on here that do the content aware thing in PS, and fix that situation. You mentioned that you weren’t shooting high speed. I normally do when shooting fast moving subjects like this one. I am thinking that had you been in high speed, the camera might have nabbed you a shot with the been over the flower more and not so close to the top, but who knows. I also set my camera to AI Servo, so the camera can keep the moving subject in focus better. Anyway, you asked about cropping. I am not sure what to offer for suggestions in this, so maybe someone else could help. I just wouldn’t want to cut out the center of the bottom flower, as that seems to be where he was target destination. The sides could be cropped in and maybe make a vertical. Just some thoughts. I love the shutter speed that you chose, which reflects the motion in the wings. Glad there are plenty of bees so you can have another chance at shooting. It is fun, and certainly an opportunity to hone in on skills of photographing fast moving little subjects. I think the cold weather has caused our blossoms to go bad and the bees aren’t out today, even though it has reached about 60 degrees outside already.

1 Like

Thanks @Mark_Seaver and @Shirley_Freeman. Trying to keep focus on a moving bee makes it fun. I have servo on and I should have had the high speed. I think the crop might have helped.

1 Like