Spingtime Bee update 1

here is a photo I took back in Spring with the bees bouncing around the poppies. I cropped the right side of this photo which had more poppies because it made it harder to spot the bee. The poppy was very bright in yellow so I used a color range mask in Lightroom Classic to tone it down some. I used my 90D and the 100-400 ii Lens at 400mm because the poppies where out of the range of the 180 macro. Lots of sunlight Picacho Peak State Park AZ

Dean, I love how the yellow of the bee is supported with the yellow flowers. Looks like he is still in flight, so that was a nice plus as well. The BG isn’t is a bit distracting, especially the tip of the yellow flower coming in on the right edge. If it was mine, I think I would see what a square crop would look like and see if I could crop out both portions of the yellow poppies on the right. The light looks like it may have been a bit harsh, but I think you managed it pretty well. Love how the bee is headed into the center of the flower.

I made this a 1:1 ratio and I agree that helped @Shirley_Freeman. I used the healing brush in PS to remove the flowers to the right. I have found that this tool sometimes works better than selecting a large area and use fill content aware. I did some adjustments on the bee so she would show up a little better. Then used a slight curve adjustment on the yellow flower protecting the bee

Dean, that seemed to make such an improvement, all that you did, that it is almost like a different image. I like it! Great work.

1 Like

Dean: Big improvement on the repost. Nicely done. >=))>

1 Like

The repost is gorgeous, Dean. Much better detail in the poppy petals and the bee really pops in this one. I think the composition also works better.

1 Like

Dean, the burst of yellow looks great. The square crop is a nice improvement. The details in the bee and the poppy also are great. One benefit of shooting long and cropping big is much more depth-of-field, so you can get both the bee and the poppy nicely sharp.

1 Like