Springtime in Willamette Valley

Spring comes early in the Willamette Valley. This is a tree that I saw yesterday after the rain with blossoms on it.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D3400
ISO 100
105mm
f/5.6
1/400
Cropped

naturenessie

Jealous! Spring is a way off here. Such a lovely representation that I had to have a go with it myself. I hope you don’t mind.

The square crop wasn’t working for me because those two swooping arcs work better (to me) in a rectangle and by doing this you also eliminate two hot spots that draw the attention. You put the star attraction in the perfect position for this crop.

After the crop I burned in the flower behind and some of the brighter bokeh areas, then brought up the midtones with a curve adjustment, bumped the vibrance & saturation a bit, added some sharpening on the blossoms and then cooled down the image by moving it toward the cyan end of the slider. All in Photoshop, but you could do all of this in Lightroom, too.

I hope you like it.

1 Like

@Kris_Smith hi Kris! This was actually a crop I had played with but I was kinda thinking that maybe the background flowers added to it, but maybe not! I do like this crop better, Thanks for looking and your inputs!

1 Like

Hi Vanessa, this is something I won’t see for a few more weeks so it is appreciated. Love it when the tree buds start to pop, and you’ve captured this one nicely. As Kristen mentioned, a crop would really improve, to get rid of all the uninteresting surrounding space. I like to fill my frame when shooting flowers as much as possible and its usually a good idea to have your main subject a bit off center too. Color and detail in the open bloom are lovely.

1 Like

Vanessa, I love the drops on that flower - Kris’s reworking really highlights the star attraction beautifully, especially by altering the TRC.

1 Like

@Jim_Lockhart Thanks, Jim! Glad you like it and thanks for the added input on the crop!

@Mike_Friel Thank you Mike! I appreciate your feedback! What is TRC?

Nice flowers,. The stems from both directions make the flowers look like they are suspended by a string. I like the crop and rework. It eliminates the distractions caused by background flowers. Nice bokeh too. WE are more than a month away from seeing these.

1 Like

Top Right Corner…

1 Like

@Mike_Friel I should have figured that out! Thanks!

@ravi Thanks, Ravi for looking and your feedback! I’d rather not have such an early spring, we hardly had any winter! But I’m glad everyone likes the flowers!

Vanessa: Excellent subject and a solid capture. I like what Kristen did with the image. Hope you have more in store. >=))>

1 Like