Standing Tall before the Capitan

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Probably the most realistic and classic ICM I’ve posted. No question what this is really, although you may not get the part that the backdrop is El Capitan.

For those not familiar with Yosemite Valley, years of drought and beetles have taken a toll on the pines, cedars and oaks. For a few years now the Park Service has been clearing out literally thousands of dead trees and thru the use of controlled burns, clearing the debris, underbrush and clearing out non-naitive plants. So currently, along with construction, rock slides, etc. etc… they valley is quite literally an ugly mess and will likely be for many years to come. That’s the sad part and current state of affairs in the Valley. The good news is, at least in my opinion, the long term health of the forest come 10, 20 and more years from now, will be in a much better place so that future generations may cherish this place like I do. In my lifetime however, I’m happy to endure the burn piles, construction and inconveniences, just so I can continue to stand here.

So for this here, the forest has opened up considerably along the drive in front of El Capitan and El Capitan Meadow, affording clearer views of the monstrosity that is El Cap. A “BFR” as my buddy Preson refers to it. And if I need to translate, well, sorry, but not appropriate for NPN. :slight_smile: A not so sublte hint, it’s a big rock.

Specific Feedback

As always, all comments and suggestions welcome. The part that I like the most about this one is the obscure, abstract rendition of El Cap. the trees? meh… but I do like the symmetry left-right and the peak of the tallest tree in the center.

And in full disclosure, the original frame has the tallest tree breaching the top edge and an oak tree obscured the right side of the full frame, so I cropped square. I expanded the canvas and did some creative cloning and work to allow the top to breath a little bit. Not that anyone cares… but the lighter to dark area of the face in the UR is the “nose” of El Cap.

Thanks for taking a look and leaving any comments.

Technical Details

Nikon Z7ii, 24-200mm @50mm, f/18 .4s iso640, single frame handheld ICM with straight forward vertical motion.

1 Like

Lon, really appreciate the story behind this image. It seems as though even through the ugliness new opportunities may have been opened. It’s good to hear that the proper steps are being taken to ensure the longterm health of the park. As for the image…geesh! I really enjoy this one. Those blue tones are lovely. I really like how you have processed it without pulling out too much contrast, it gives it more of a dreamy effect that I like in images like this. The only thing I could see would be maybe trying to remove a little bit of the “structure” for lack of a better term in the top left corner. The lines there are pretty sharp and abrupt which isn’t echoed throughout the rest of the image. Overall, this is a minor issue in a successful image. Love it!

Hi Lon,
it’s funny, when I first saw the thumbnail in the feed, I immediately knew that was your image :slight_smile:

The image looks beautiful. I like the subtle color palette and the soft and painterly mood. When I view that Image, my first reaction is: Oh, I have to put on my glasses. But then I realized it was the ICM effect. I love it.

So I have no suggestion for improvement to offer today. Only honest admiration for your art.

And thanks for adding the story about the National Park. I also see the result of drought and beetles every time I stroll through our local woodlands. But good to read that they are working on a long-term solution.
I have a very hypothetical question: Suppose someone is planning a trip through the western United States next year. Given the current state, would you recommend skipping Yosemity?

Lon, terrific image! The background reminds me of a massive waterfall cascading behind the pines. Wonderful effect! I’m digging the square crop and the natural colors along with the vertical lines that carry my eye up the frame. I’m wondering if the whites could be bumped just a bit. I see what David means about the structure in the top left side. Not sure what the right tool in Photoshop is to adjust that but perhaps a path blur would do the trick?

I’ve always wanted to visit Yosemite and see it with my own eyes. It’s great reading about the restoration of the valley. Thank you for sharing that piece. Thanks Lon!

Thanks @Jens_Ober , @David_Wallace and @Alfredo_Mora for your comments, observations and suggestions.

I agree David, and this was enhanced as well because I “stretched” the canvas up top to make the breathing room for the tree. I’m afraid I’ll have to start from scratch, but agree about softening (or something else) those lines. Good catch!

Jens - actually I would still HIGHLY recommend planning a trip to Yosemite; especially for anyone who has never been. The clean-up, burn piles and construction are all temporary and NOTHING takes away from the granduer of the granite monoliths, the waterfalls, the river… and just the pure magesty of at all. No, do not skip Yosemite.

Thanks for your comments and suggestion Alfredo. I agree with your suggestion as well. I already played around with boosting the whites and it looks good… but until I can rework with the UL area, I’ll have to wait on reposting. Thanks for commenting!

1 Like

Lon, am loving your work of your whole portfolio! My kind of photographer! I see you have worked with some ICM images…love them. I experiment myself, and sometimes surprise myself as well with one that is actually a keeper! I am loving all of your images, the pure beautiful nature and your great eye to capture it wonderfully.

1 Like

Judi,

Thank you so much for your kind words! Much appreciated! Glad to have you here on NPN!

Best regards,

Lon