Starburst in the Woods

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

While much of the forest floor is a drab brown this time of year, I’m always delighted to come upon a patch of princess pine. Besides the eye-catching color, I love the fanlike spreading branches. I was surprised to learn they are actually club mosses, with a club-shaped spore-bearing cone at the top of mature plants.

Specific Feedback

All comments and suggestions are welcome and thanks for viewing.

Technical Details

Canon R50, ISO 1250, f/11, 1/30s, 32mm (51mm equiv.), HH. This is a crop because I never see the better image within a scene until I get home. Post processing included adjustments to exposure, contrast, and sharpening.

Beautiful, Jim. Excellent depth of field to get the entire frame in nice focus and nice framing of your subjects. They do look like starbursts.

Cool plant, Jim. I’ve never seen that myself. Thanks not only for the image, but also for the information about the plant. It looks like that plant might also be a great subject for some macro shots.

@Dennis_Plank and @Ron_Meeker, thank you for your encouraging messages. Ron, good idea about doing some macro shots; will have to plan to do so and fortunately these plants are always available. Happy New Year!

Jim: Really cool find and a fine capture. Winter can be tough but you’ve managed to come up with a fine result. :+1: :+1:>=))>

Jim, I too love to find at these plants in the woods (thanks for naming them) as their resemblence to miniature trees is always attractive. Without knowing what was there, I could also see having them angled across a full 3:2 frame.

@Bill_Fach and @Mark_Seaver, thank you both for your encouraging words. Mark, thanks for your suggestion; the specimens to the right were less than perfect, hence the square crop.