Stare

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

What do you see?

How do you feel looking at the image?

Do your eyes keep wondering around or do you find yourself looking at one area only?

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
3 Likes

Nice composition, like a great eye of a forest. And I like the low-contrast processing.

1 Like

This is a very intriguing and engaging image Aref. It is as though I am seeing a reflection of a forest in someone’s eye. My eye does travel around the scene through the frosty forest before landing in the middle. Nicely done; no suggestions from me.

1 Like

Thanks @Ed_Lowe and @Ronald_Murphy for the comments.

Aref,

I see an eye looking back at me. I do wish there were some brush on the left side like on the very right edge to kind of close out the symmetry. Otherwise a very interesting photo and graphically nicely designed.

I am quite drawn to this. The frosty outline of frozen Birch brush and a warmer heart of autumnal bracken. Perhaps the out of focus brush in the immediate foreground is just a touch distracting and the warm heart of the picture just a wee bit close to the right side edge.

Thanks for posting this image, Aref. I sense calm and serene atmosphere in this image, partly because of the low level of contrast, partly because of the color control. My eyes wander to the middle of the image, trying to see through the tree trunks in order to figure out what the white area behind them is: a river? a road? a frozen lake?

Really unique Aref. I too immediately saw an eye. Congrats on the EP.

Absolutely stunning in every way. It does appear as though there is a giant eye staring back at me from the forest. I can only imagine how breathtaking this would be as a very large print.