Start to Finish

One more from my fall colors trip about three weeks ago. These were all taken in Northern Utah. I had never been to this part of Utah for Fall colors so this was more of a scouting trip which is great. I love kinds of trips because I have no preconceived notions of what I am going to find. I spent about a week simply driving around and hiking on and off beaten paths. This image was taken off of a dirt road in the back country. I loved it for it’s colorful array of fall colors from lime green (start) to deep red (finish) and even a few bare trees. This is how I came up with the name start to finish. Yep, pretty corny. It’s getting harder and harder for me to come up with names for my images. Can’t you tell. Anyway, I also love the diagonal tree lines that work through the frame on this one. This was taken before the sun came up so there was soft, even lighting. Hope you like it. It’s kind of a cliché fall color image but for some reason, it tugs at my heart strings.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything and everything you can think of.

Technical Details

Z9, 100-400mm lens @ 145mm, f/7.1, ISO 1000, 1/20 second hand held,

4 Likes

Layers, diagonals, and a wonderful mix of color; this is an exceptional image and truly beautiful. Clichés, like icons, get that way for a reason and it is a joy to see one that stands out. My biggest wish is that I had been there to use your tripod divots for my own when you were done.

My two thoughts to consider are controversial and highly personal, in my experience. First, the frame is so bright that in my viewing conditions it is distracting. I think it would work great as matting for a print, where the light is passive as opposed to active, but especially in the large view it snags my eye. Second, you don’t mention the lighting (and this is probably true to it); as someone who wasn’t there it seems a bit blue. If I move it slightly warmer my personal taste prefers it; I’ll post what I landed on below. As always on these vanilla vs. chocolate thoughts, YMMV and you should run with your heart.

I think this image is beautifully and skillfully processed. The colors look to be optimal in strength and clarity. The fine detail in all those repeating tree trunks is also to be marveled at. They are slightly blue but that doesn’t bother me at all.

David, wonderful pre-dawn scene and very well captured/processed. I like the title too. The angled lines work nicely to present a relaxed feeling. Well done.

This is a beautiful image David. The diagonal layers keep my eye moving from the foreground to the background and I also like the alternating color layers as well. I do like John’s suggestion about warming up the color balance. Nicely done!

I appreciate you all taking a look at this one @John_Williams, @Igor_Doncov, @David_Bostock, @Brian_Schrayer.
John, This image was taken before sunrise in the morning on a clear day. So it had a blueish white balance to already but I did reduce the temperature about 500. I may have gone too far. So many fall color images are too saturated and warm for my taste and my images tend to run on the bluish side anyway. As for the white frame I agree. It’s too white. I generally do not post with a pure white frame so good catch. A pure white frame can be very shocking on screen but soft and muted with a matt. Not controversial at all on either the frame or the white balance.
Thank you for that feedback Igor, David and Brian.

1 Like