Steamy Morn

Sony A700
Minolta 20mm, CPL
ISO 200, 1/50 @ f11
Came across this scene on the Firehole River on our first day in Yellowstone in the fall of 2011. The lone tree caught my attention but when I got down to the riverside the light approaching the FG grasses attracted my eye even more. I just sat there and waited for the sun to rise high enough to throw sidelight on tree and grass. It was about 30° so there was a lot of steam coming off the Midway Geyser Basin in the BG. What a magical place. All comments welcome. >=))>

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

A really beautiful scene, Bill. I think the fog in the BG really makes this shot as much as the side lighting. Nice composition.

Very nice composition. I like the river as a leading line to the lone tree and the way the sunrise lights up the grass. The rising steam creates a good backdrop for the scene.

Bill, the light on the grass and the trees is lovely. The river makes a fine leading line and the amount of steam is outstanding, with a nice section of blue sky to help the scene.

Simply beautiful. It takes you right to the place and makes the viewer wish he/she was there. I like the contrast in the grass and the with the tree. it really draws the eye. Wonderful.

The side light on the FG grasses and the rising steam are some lovely elements in this scene, Bill. The diagonals also work very nicely here. My only suggestion would be just a bit more breathing room at the top of the tree, but certainly not a deal breaker because this is lovely as is.