Steens Sunset

Last light kissing the ridge.

When you’re 1,200 feet down inside a conyon, the shadows start way before sunset.

This is one from last summer. I’ve been sitting on it for awhile and really like it, but I’m not sure what’s missing. It definitely feels near where I want it, but I’d love some feedback.

This is the full image, it hasn’t been cropped. I’ve pulled the luminosity and played with the tint of the sky a bit already.

@sonyalpha a7riii
@Sony G 70-200 f/4 shot at 142mm
ISO650
1/500

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Dan,

This is quite beautiful. Love the last light as well as all the lime-green lichen? on the scattered rock formation throughout.

Great job with the minimal processing. Some times less is more. I think the sky looks quite natural; which means I think you have room to push it a smidge… but that’s all personal choice. It’s lovely as presented.

The only suggestion I have would be to crop or clone brighter rock in the LLC. I’m a little unsure about the last light on the far right peak since it’s right up against the edge. But I think I’m ok with that considering it’s repeating the light on the left.

Well done.

Lon

1 Like

I like this Dan, this is a difficult exposure situation well handled by your processing. I especially like how you processed the sky here, that peach color is great. I agree with @Lon_Overacker comment on the LLC, I would clone the brightest part away. I’m good with the saturation on the sunlit peak, it should be this saturated. But to my taste i would slightly de-saturate the vertical yellow sections in the center and right side of the image, shadows areas are naturally less saturated, and these go a little too far for my taste. I am okay with the saturation of the yellows in the LLC, they look good to me.

1 Like

Beautiful peachy glow in the sky and I love the color gradient. I don’t mind the brighter area at the top. However, when I zoom in, there seems to be some color banding or blotching. To prevent all banding, shooting RAW and working in 16-bit mode should do the trick. I’m not sure what’s causing it, but it could be fixed by blurring the sky.

I like the yellow lichen that cover the rocks. They provide some interest in the cliffs area. I agree with @Ed_McGuirk that they are perhaps slightly too saturated, but that’s solely a matter of style and taste.

1 Like

Thanks for the great feedback @atli, @Ed_McGuirk and @Lon_Overacker! Still working on this one and your suggestions are really helpful!