Stone Bellies

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I saw the small dimples in this tafoni sandstone on the beach and thought they looked like little belly buttons. I waited until the sun had set but still had a good glow on the horizon to help cast shadows.

Specific Feedback

Nikon D2x, Nikon 80-200 mm f/4 at 200mm f16 1/10 sec at ISO 100

Technical Details

Processed in ACR and PS.

The title certainly fits. Why does the image have such a heavy green cast? I think a more grayed color would be more attractive. The lightest part of the image is at the very bottom of the frame, where my attention gets trapped. Burning that area would direct the eye upward. This is certainly an interesting study of an unusual rock formation. Thanks, Youssef, for sharing this image.

Youssef: Interesting color palette and I especially like the play of light and shadow. Well seen and captured. >=))>

Youssef, the “buttons” stand out very well here. The smoothly rounded rocks around them add to the effect. I could see going pano to further emphasize your title.

Youssef, I really like the color palette here with the darks up and behind, and the lighter rounder grey/greens out in the front like some of our bellies. . .

I could also see this cropped as a panoramic, removing the bright patch at the bottom and some of the gravel at the top, which I found distracting too. Love the belly-buttons!