Strata

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

We live in a society that is heavily stratified. Groups have been formed based on financial worth, on education, on class, on ethnicity and just about everything else. On the one hand that is fine, but if everyone was the same we would not be able to distinguish one person from another, and is it not by these differences that we know one another? However, our world unfortunately does not see differences as a strength but uses these differences to subjugate one another. The rich exploit the poor, the knowledgeable beguile the ignorant, the hoi polio belittle the worker and, in what defies logic, the ancestry of one group of people gives them rank and file over another in a blazing display of arrogance. Unlike this, the Earth finds strength in its strata. Layer upon layer the Earth relies on this structure to continuously build upon and forge a firmament that allows man to walk upon its back. Would that we could see our differences as a strength and benefit from it like the Earth rather than allowing it to tear us apart.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback is appreciated.

Technical Details

Camera: Shen-Hao 4x5
Lens: Nikon 150mm f/5.6
Support: Gitzo GT3540XLS, Kirk- BH-1
Film: Fuji Provia 100F
Aperture: f64
Shutter: 1 sec
Development: Normal
Processed in PS.

This is soo beautiful. The richness of tones and colors is part of it. I think the 4x5 film is also responsible. I’m not sure that can be matched with digital. I’m familiar with the area and I think you underexposed it to make it look this way. I like it. In a way it looks a bit like Anil Rao’s ‘fracture’ near the Sierras but your take is different than his. I probably would have cropped this tighter but that would have changed your vision.

Igor, It was at low tide and the rocks were still very wet so the colors were quite saturated. I do not recall underexposing it. I think I remember Anil’s Fracture series. But, don’t recall if he made those before or after I made this one. His work on rocks was always an inspiration for me. But, thank you for the feedback. It is a good seller in my shows.

This is simply gorgeous Youssef. The brown and blue hues are very appealing as are all the horizontal strata lines. That 4X5 really catches lots of detail. My first instinct upon viewing was to brighten it up a bit, but then some of the richness would be lost and I probably would have reversed it. The 3 loose pebbles on the same level add some interest to the whole scene.