Rock Abstract

This is an intimate landscape of rock strata at Blue Rocks near Peggy’s Cove in Nova Scotia.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D80, 18-200mm shot at 80mm, 1/3 sec, f25, ISO 100

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

There are a lot of interesting colors and textures to explore in this image with several parallel layers and lines. This my be personal opinion but I might be really tempted to clone out the black line starting in the lower left corner. As my eye was exploring the image it kept being drawn right back to that line.

Thanks, Richard, for viewing and commenting on this image from 2010. In visiting some old images, it’s good to know what others think about them. Larry

I find this interesting, but also a bit chaotic. The noise to information ratio is high, so it’s not communicating a whole lot visually. Maybe varying the contrast of the light and dark colors would help or possibly even a vignette. Something that maybe organized things a little better.

Tony, Thanks for visiting this image and commenting. Perhaps this is chaotic. It is a 2010 image that I revisited. I think the answer is to move on and create better images. Larry

Larry,

Cool, natural abstract. One of the big draws for me is scale - or lack there of. Looks like a fairly big area, a hillside with tons of geology going on - or is it a much smaller scale - a rock face? Hard to tell, but I’m going with the bigger picture.

I think Richard meant the dark line from the LRC - lower right corner. Looks like a plate fault line or something geologic like that. There’s a smaller, less apparent dark line at it’s perpendicular on the left and I think maybe cropping overall might make these two diagonals even more prevalent - rather than trying to hide/remove.

There is a lot going on and I think trimming left, right and top would simplify this a bit. Might also experiment with decreasing the contrast. But the colors look really good and there certainly is a diversity of them.

I think pretty fascinating even though it lacks a central point of emphasis; ok, it’s an abstract, so no rules apply… :wink:

Lon

Thanks Lon, I will try the cropping and contrast adjustment you suggest. Larry