Rock Art II

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any and all

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any and all

Any pertinent technical details: Canon SX60, F5.6, 1/200 sec., ISO 320

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Patricia

Very nice image . I could see it being used as a stand alone or as a background texture for another image

Using a polarizing filter when shooting this would have eliminated the reflection of the sky off the rock and brought more of the pure color out.

Beautiful find and capture, Patricia. It is amazing own the rocks can have so many lines and textures. One of natures beauties.

Looks like an area with a lot of potential. The exposure looks good with nice detail in the dark rocks. However, this composition doesn’t exactly draw me in. It seems to capture the place accurately, but not it’s underlying photographic potential.

Patricia,

An excellent natural rock abstract. Great color and the curved lines keep me engaged.

To me, this seems a tad soft in places? Maybe sharpness is great at f/5.6, but dof limited a bit. That’s minor.

Composition wise it kinda has a 50-50 split with the eye going back and forth between the main rock formations. A couple of alternatives. Go all the way to a yin yang split and crop off the left (literally would have a yin yang result) OR crop a slice off the right to go further away from 50-50. Minor thoughts.

Lon

This sure looks like Pt Lobos, California. I hope you’re not offended by what I’m about to say. The colors from the algae film makes the image feel dirty. This is a subject that’s rarely mentioned in critiques. Some image just look uninviting for some reason. In this case it’s a sense of ‘scum’ on the rocks. The background rocks have some beautiful colors and patterns but you just want to take a brush to it and remove all that film. Low tide can look that way. I think the overlapping composition is a good idea. Hope that’s not too harsh. It’s interesting because I just took an image of stagnant water and will see if I feel the same way about it.

This one has a lot of potential. It is a tad soft but has some nice patterns. Taking some of the RH side may provide a way to get the eye on those patterns…Jim

No scum. The colors and patterns are embedded in the rocks at the bottom of a waterfall. I’m not offended, I’ll just keep trying.

This is a nice composition. The movement and colors keep me engaged. I also like the contrast offered by the near and far rock surfaces.

One problem I see with this picture is that some portions appear soft. Perhaps it is a depth-of-field issue, given that you had used a relatively wide aperture (f/5.6).

If you can return to this location it might be worthwhile to reshoot it with a much smaller aperture.