Strathfarrar Pastel

Strathfarrar, Highlands, Scotland.

This autumnal pastel square was taken before Autumn had really taken hold in the very beautiful private glen of Strathfarrar in the Highlands of Scotland. The old birch tree with its spread of lichen clad branches was dripping with old mans beard (another lichen species, local name) and the first golden birch leaves had begun to break out on an otherwise leafy green tree like acne. The bracken too was still in its 3 phase colour state with this small cluster turning from yellow to pale orange. It doesn’t shout or scream exciting colour but I can live with it on my wall.

Fuji XT-1, 55-200 zoom, f/13 at 1/25 Second, ISO 200

1 Like

I really like the way this was processed. It has a slightly out of focus look to it. I wonder if you could share that with us (in words. no need for images). I love the subdued colors used here. I have seen several UK landscape artists that process their work this way. The orange/brown in the lrc is a bit overwhelming to the overall balance, imo.

Beautiful and delicate. I love the subdued colors. I agree with Igor on the orange ferns in the LRC. That blob of warm color has a lot of visual weight and unbalances the scene, especially with a square crop. Nonetheless, this is super.

Nice job, Ian. This has a painterly, soft appeal, and I love the feeling it imparts. Great color palette, love the soft texture, nice leading of the eye from the fern up the tree…really keeps my interest. I like everything about it.

I love the painterly look and understated color Ian.

Ian, your image is a consistent presentation of this autumn scene to me. I especially appreciate the subtle colors and delicate details. The centered composition works very well in my opinion.

Peter