Stuck between a rock and a hard place

Like Dean, I am also new here and am looking for much needed guidance. Feeling quite overwhelmed with how good the photos i’ve seen posted here are and hoping someday to be at the same level. Unitl then, I’m working on my macro photo techniques here with this photo. It is of a sedium plant (after a rain shower) that is growing between two pavers on our patio.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I am still trying to get a clear, crisp macro photos. This is 4 photos stacked in Photoshop. I’m curious what programs others use to do stacking? Also, since this is only 4 stacks, seems taking more photos would be better, however are there programs that do a better job than Photoshop?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I did crop this just a bit and did some slight adjusting (texture in LR). Should i have intensified the colors just a bit more?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

the plant is approximately 1 1/2"
Nikon D7200, Tokina 100mm lens, f/8, 1/60 sec., 100 iso, WB sun.
With this equipment, is this as clear/crisp as it can be?

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Linda, yes, it looks like you captured it clear and crisp. I am sure the stacking has much to do with that, keeping a deeper focus throughout the subject. I have yet to try stacking, so afraid I am no help to you there, but I am hoping someone else can recommend a good stacking software. I so wish that this little plant had been in a better location (although I love your title), as the cement doesn’t add to the image, but is more of a distraction. I love to capture plants and flowers with rain drops (haven’t done that in quite a while now that I think about it), and get refractions of flowers, etc. in the droplets. If I remember correctly, to accomplish that you need the flower below and just behind the droplet (maybe someone else can correct me if I am wrong). I don’t think you need to enhance the colors any in this shot. Everything looks natural to me. I don’t think you need to be feeling overwhelmed, not as good as you captured this image. I am so glad that you have such an interest in macro. It is a whole new universe, and you don’t need to travel to do it, just walk out in your yard, or local park. Looking forward to many more of your shots. Sorry I wasn’t able to help you with stacking.

Linda, I applaud what you’ve done here. The sedum with rain drops is a fine subject and it looks good here. The pavers make for an interesting background as they look like sand. Most photographers use one of three programs for stacking, Photoshop, Helicon Focus and Zerene stacker although there are other programs out there. I’ve carefully tested all three and suggest either Zerene or Helicon. If you look carefully (at 1:1) on your monitor, Photoshop ALWAYS includes a few out-of-focus pixels and they are almost impossible to get rid of because of how PS uses masks to choose what parts of an image are sharp. Both Zerene and Helicon do a better job. I found Zerene harder to use and a bit more complicated because when I last tested it, Zerene still required the operator to create TIFF files and then load those into Zerene. I also found that Zerene tended to compress the dynamic range, darkening the brightest parts and lightening the darkest parts. Helicon comes with the ability to send RAW files directly from Lightroom into Helicon and save the output as a DNR file. It does very well on highly detailed stacks (like your sedum). It also let you make adjustments on the stacked image using the individual files. It’s one drawback is that when there are blown highlights in a stack, it creates a result for that area that’s much larger than the sharpest focus and/or leaves hot rings around the highlight. I find those fixable in PS after the stacked image is created. In this shot, I see a number of stacking “artifacts”, but it’s a very credible first try.

Shirley, thank you so much for your comments. I just love, love . . …love macro photography. When i look through my lens and see things (shapes, colors, tiny bugs) I am just in awe of the world around me. Having said that I am still struggle with how i want to present/photograph. I like having the soft focus in macros, but there seems to be a trend to stack everything. Perhaps there is middle ground here where the feeling and interpretation of the subject takes precedent. I still clearly have a lot to learn and am truly looking forward to being a part of NPN. Thanks again.

Thanks Mark. This is great information. I’ve downloaded the trial version of Helicon and can’t wait to start experimenting with it. Truly appreciate your thoughts and comments and am looking forward to being able to not only participate but also contribute to the group.

Linda, it is exciting to hear that you love macro so much. Yes, I think we as photographers get to find what we feel is our vision in photography, and macro is like any other type, so if you find stacking isn’t so much your vision, but that you prefer a certain portion of the image sharp, and the rest out of focus, that is your artistic vision, and I think everyone respects that. I just haven’t taken the time to try to capture several images and stack them yet. I do like a sharp all the way through sometimes, so need to give it a try. So glad you found NPN and joined. I am sure we will learn together in this community.

1 Like

Welcome Linda, Nice interesting shot. good color and sharp . I prefer to include the end of the plant when practicle but that may just be me. Keep em comining.

Macro is indeed a forgotten land so to speak. I enjoy the small overlooked plants that most never see and step on. Spring will be back in a couple of months providing us with many new opportunities. Can’t wait.

Do give Zerene a try as I believe they have corrected or added to the software to address the very things that Mark spoke of.

Thanks Greg, I appreciate your thoughts. I’m in the trial/testing phase of Helicon but will definitely give Zerene a go also.

Linda: I like your subject and comp and your attitude especially. I’m a single capture guy and love the challenges and compromises that poses but I see some great stacking work. Before he passed away Phil Hodgkins was my moderating partner and was a master at stacking while I claimed the title of single capture guru. We made a great team. There’s a place for both and plenty of room for creativity. I prefer to do my work with the camera while others have mastered the software. Vive la difference! Keep 'em coming. >=))>

1 Like

Thanks Bill, I totally agree with your thoughts and am currently going through the process of stacking vs single capture.