Sturdy pioneer

This barn is along a rural road not too far from me. After trying it in color and not being satisfied, I did this shot in IR in 2012 and found the romantic look of the oaks a nice contrast to the old barn. Angles were limited by a fence (and a house across the road whose looks suggested trespassing might not be a good idea) but I was happy with what I got. I was also limited in lens choices as with the body I had then, the 50mm was about the only lens that would give decent focus and no hot spot in the middle of the image. Things are much improved with newer bodies and lenses.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5D converted to IR, Canon 50mm f/1.8. ISO 100, f/8, 1/250, handheld contorted leaning through a fence.

3 Likes

I love this photo Dianne! Very well done. The composition is perfect. No nits from me.

Very nicely done with the IR here Diane without it being overdone either. The old dilapidated barn is an excellent subject and the limited viewed angle works well too.

What a great idea to use IR here, the trees then get a great look as you say. I also like a lot how you have treated the barn wooden panels, keeping/achieving a great variety of grey tones. Despite the limitations , you found a very good composition with the trees nicely framing t he barn. Well done! (A very minor issue, but I personally do not like that much the transition from image to frame that you have chosen, especially at the right edge with the black irregularities.)

I love this. The contrast between the boards and the leaves is really nice. From rough to feathery. Heavy to light. Overall the image feels light and generally positive and I think that’s because there is very little black in this, except for the openings on the building. The trees have a comforting presence. Super job even with gear limitations which is not a hurdle for those with vision and experience.

Diane, this is just incredible. I love the IR look and this one really exemplifies it. I think the 50mm lens did just fine. I tend to be a 35-50mm person anyway so it fits for me. I’d love to explore the barn up close…

Ditto to all the above. The IR is simply gorgeous.

Even if the limitions weren’t there I don’t think you could come up with a better composition.

Diane, I had to stop and take another look as this beautiful image pulled me in. The conversion to IR is very nice.

I don’t know much about infrared photography @Diane_Miller. I know that I love this though!