Out of the Shadows

I have just had my Sony a7 II converted to IR 720nm by Kolari Vision and am experimenting with it. Unfortunately, the main lens I use for landscapes, the Sony 24-70 f/2.8 is NOT recommended for IR because it produces a white spot in the center of the frame, except at the widest aperture. I am about to get a different Sony 24-70 that does not cause this problem. However, yesterday we visited Untermyer Gardens Conservancy in Yonkers, NY and managed to get this image with parallel lines in which the white spot enhances rather than detracts from the image.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any suggestions about tricks of IR photography would be welcome.

Technical Details

Sony a7 II, Sony 24-70 f/2.8 lens at 24mm, manual exposure, f/13 at 1/125th, ISO 500.

2 Likes

I really had to look twice at this photo. It almost looked abstract at first glance. Very nicely composed, with great symmetry and framing. Really draws me through the photo.

1 Like

Hi, Charles. Had you not said about the white spot in the center of the image, I would not have noticed it. Frankly, I don’t see it. In addition to the obvious leading lines, I must also commend you on the water leading line enhancing the beautiful black and white contrast in the photo. The framing of the photo is also another strong point in the composition. The dark shadows allow just enough light to filter through the leaves and keep my eyes focused on that bright light at the end of the image. Symmetry is also very strong in your photo, including the two benches on both sides. Although of different lengths, the darker tree branches help keep my eyes where the leading lines guide me.

I do not know anything about IR photography. This may show my ignorance about the topic. I wonder if for this particular image there would be any difference in just a BNW edit instead of using IR.

The image evokes mystery and discovery in my eyes. I really cannot see what else I would do to improve anything in it at all.

1 Like

Thanks very much.

1 Like