Success and Failure

It’s hard to believe, but seed season is upon us, though there are still new flowers blooming. I’ve always been enamored of the seed heads of this species. In this instance, it’s a seed head of Cut-leaf Microseris in the foreground and a failed seed head in the background. We had a super bloom of these this year, but for some reason a large proportion of the blooms failed to produce seed heads.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

5DIII, EF180 f/3.5 macro, tripod. 7 images at f/11, 1/640, iso 1000 stacked in Helicon Focus. Brushed in some extra exposure, warmth and sharpening to the seed head with the LR local adjustment brush.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Beautifully done Dennis. The detail and elegance are wonderful.

Very nicely captured, Dennis, with lots of details. I like the dew drops caught on the seed pot. I wonder if it is due to a lack of pollinators that some of the seed pods didn’t succeed? Just a thought.

Think it is a good call to show two pods at different stages. The composition helps tell the story of their life span. I’m not sure where you live, but the dry weather here in the east is affecting the growth and health of many plants native to the area. Nice image.

Dennis: One MUST view the larger version to get the full impact of the drops and the fine details of the seed head. Really good comp with the spent head OOF in the BG. :+1: :+1:>=))>