Sumac Rainbow

Autumn 2020 photo project - taken 10/16/20 at Paradise Pond, Fitchburg, Massachusetts

I enjoy photographing Sumac bushes in autumn. I love their shapes, the repetition of shapes, and most of all, their typical red and green colors. One rainy day this fall I stumbled across this sumac bush, which had the most amazing colors that I have ever seen. The patterns and colors were like nothing I had ever seen before. I caught the sumac in just the right stage of transition, which resulted in this rainbow of colors.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any critique or comments are welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5D MKIV, Canon 24-70mm f2.8 lens, at 70 mm, ISO 400, 1/10 sec at f16

5 Likes

Ed, I totally agree that sumac is among the most brilliantly stunning plants when it acquires it’s fall foliage colors. You have captured this one at it’s most glorious time. Well done.

One more accolade for sumac. Even now 40 years later I remember how enthralled I was with this plant the single year I spent in New Hampshire. I hear they’re toxic though?

A vertical of the right half of the image would work for me for better color balance.

1 Like

Stunning image! And the composition is fabulous, considering all the chaos present.

Wow, this is a very unique take on sumac all decked out in it’s autumn color, Ed. I do not think I have ever seen this rainbow of colors either. So glad you were able to capture this and share it with us. You certainly had a very productive fall season even though you stayed close to home. I could also see this working as a vertical with the right side as that is where most of the bold color is located. No suggestions from me.

Ed,
Love this Sumac and the strong colors. A few others mentioned the right sight side and a possible crop. While I do see that, I am really appreciating the beautiful green you included. The variation across the image makes this one really unique.

1 Like

Great color and shapes. Before reading any comments, I was thinking of a crop off the left side and I see others mentioned it as well. I brought it into PS and played with it. When I crop about 30% off the left, the multi-color effect jumps out. When I step back again, my eye zooms to the left side of the frame and stays on the bright greens and whites of the upper left leaves. While both work extremely well, the crop works far better for me.

Gorgeous colors Ed! Love the arrangement of leaves as well - the color mix is just wonderful.

The darker red vertical branch on the right makes a nice focal - and leads to my agreement with others about bringing it in a bit from the left. Maybe not to a vertical, but just enough off the left to eliminate the group of accented leaves, ULC; which also reduces some of the green dominance of the left. Minor points however…

Screaming Velvia… :laughing:

Lon

Ed, what a nice treat to the eyes looking at this. I am not familiar with Sumac, but you sure did a fine job presenting it to those of us that don’t have it in the area. Makes me want some to photograph. Very nice.

@Tony_Siciliano @Shirley_Freeman @terryb @Lon_Overacker @Harley_Goldman @Ed_Lowe @Alan_Kreyger @Igor_Doncov Thank you all for comments.

I am going to explore some left side crops, but I don’t see this as a vertical, which would eliminate most of the red / green color contrast. I know the colors may seem over the top here, but this is actually very close to how the unedited raw file looks. I only added a bit of mid-tone contrast to darken the shadows, and then had to reduce saturation -12 in Lightroom to get it back to this.

Igor, some species of sumac is poisonous, but most species here are something called staghorn sumac, which is not. In fact people make a tea from the berries of staghorn sumac.

1 Like

Very, very nice, Ed. The colours and textures are superb - almost a story book, not to mention tropical feel to it. While this image is very strong as is, I tend to agree with those who are suggesting a vertical crop. I get your wanting the juxtaposition but, personally, I’m finding the green is pulling me away from the incredibly enchanting right side of the frame. Beautifully seen and executed.