Summer Heat Blair Woods

Blairs Loch, Moray, Scotland

A gorgeous mixed pine and birch wood covered with moss and fronds of green bracken, fresh with summer colour was backlit by afternoon sunlight streaming through the canopy contrasting with the reddish hue of the bark of the straight pine trees. A little movement in the ferns and pine fronds so used ISO 640 and a slightly higher shutter speed.

Fuji GFX50S (the older one), GF100-200mm lens, slightly de-tuned polariser, F/16 at 1/30 second, ISO 640.

Oh how lovely. I don’t often think of Scotland being wooded, but that’s just me. The main opening and line of trees is inviting and tranquil. The understory looks really nice, but oh, that branch on the left. That’s driving me nuts. In the field I’ve moved things like this using a delayed shutter. Better yet, if I’m hiking with someone I ask that person to hold it out of the way. At this point I’m not sure there’s anything to rectify it since it’s in the can so to speak. Same with the darker branches at the top. They just feel out of proportion in terms of visual weight because they are so dark. Do you have other compositions for this little grove?

1 Like

Why have I never thought of this? :slight_smile: A lot of times it wouldn’t work because what I want to move is too far in the scene, but those other times… Thanks for the advice!

Very nice light filtering through. And the distribution of the trees as you composed the scene is great. I agree with @Kris_Smith about the dark branches pulling on the attention.

Lots to like here, but I wonder if you could crop off about 1/3 of the right and strengthen the composition a bit.

Hi Ian, I like this image. As far as woodland goes, it is so full of life. I think in addition to the above recommendations, I would have also gone a bit lower and included the beautiful ferns in the foreground to create more depth with a wider-angle lens perhaps. Still, it is an image with a very natural feel to it and I love how it stands out even in dim light. I wonder in addition to horizontal frame; if you could take a few vertical shots and stitched them, would it have eliminated the distractions on the top and side?