Summer light

In this dense forest I try to find holes in the foliage and light to make images that gives a good impression of the place.

Specific Feedback Requested

All feedback is welcome as always

Technical Details

Summer light

Hi Ben,

I think this image captures the summer green season.

My question is what in the scene motivated you to take the shot? There’s the light of the leaves, the form of the trunk and the branch and the shaded canopy. To me some of these elements compete for attention.

From a tonal perspective my eye tends to go to the upper left corner and the contrast between the dark hanging leaves and the bright leaves in the mid ground.

@Nathan_Klein, Nathan, thank you for your time and comment. Maybe I should have named the image " The trees behind" to make my intention more clear. However, surrounded by the light and dark leaves is the opening through which you can see the trees (eye catcher) obvious in my view. One must see an image as a whole in my opinion and not in parts.

I usually find it very difficult to shoot in summer forests on sunny days. The contrast can be harsh, and the forest is monochrome green. But I think you did a great job of handling contrast here, and the dappled light does create some color contrast between green and yellow, expanding the color palette beyond monochrome green.

I do get what your intent was here, it was to make the shadows of the dark leaves create emphasis by framing the sunlit vegetation beyond. It’s the light at the end of a tunnel of leaves. My primary concern is that I wish the shadowed leaves were a bit sharper, although I suspect suspect you were also trying for some soft/sharp contrast in your composition as well. I might also burn down the sunlit branch at the top, it pulls my eye away from the more prominent sunlit leaves below, which is where you want the viewer to focus.

@Ed_McGuirk, Ed, You are giving me some thoughts about this soft /sharp contrast.Which I now used unconsciously. The branch at the top was far more bright . I already burned it down. Perhaps it need some more. Indeed the harsh light makes it a bit difficult. For myself I see it as a training for as the light becomes probable easier I hope, when the summer is over . Thank you, Ed !