The first day of summer

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Beginning summer 2024
Reflects the image for me
What does it mean for you?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Technical Details

F5.6, 1/20, iso 200, 24-120 at 200mm

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
2 Likes

Ben, it certainly says SUMMER to me! I like the profusion of leaves and the three trees provide some structure. My only suggestion might be to crop off the really bright area on the left since it catches my eye and brings me out of the frame.
Larry

Hi Ben. I’m always impressed that you are able to create so much mood in what, at first glance might seem like a scene most people would walk right past. This image certainly evokes summer to me, particularly in the paleness of the green and the lovely way the light penetrates the foliage giving it a glow. The problem I see with the image is on the left side. It’s not the bright spot because that is more or less balanced on the right side. But there’s too much relative to the positioning of the three tree trunks which provide the strong graphic element to the image. But I don’t think cropping will solve the problem because then you would introduce a different lack of balance, this time with the spot of light on the right side. I think it would have helped to have shot the image having the camera more to the right so that the three trunks appear more to the left of the frame, if you see my meaning. That being said, the juxtaposition of the airy lightness of the foliage with the dark, solidness of the trunks works very well and certainly captures that summer feeling you were after.

I love this on first impression. I feel that I could just step forward and walk into it

Ben, this speaks of late spring to me, since there’s still some yellow in the leaves and they are nicely bright. The mix of frilly green textures contrasts well with the dark tree trunks. My lone suggestion is to burn in that bright area about 3/4 down along the left edge.

Flat out gorgeous scene Ben. This greens have a lushness and the light gorgeous; makes me want to walk right into the forest. You do these types of scenes so well! My only suggestion is the already mentioned bright area on the left side. Beautiful work.

Beginning of summer definitely Ben. It seems that in all the comments there is the advise of durkenig some part of the image. May be a vignetting that durkens both the sides and also the bottom of the image that seems to me a bit too bright? I love the photo Ben.

@Ed_Lowe , @Mark_Seaver , @LarryR , @Giuseppe_Guadagno , @Kerry_Gordon , @mr1 . Thank you all for this thoughtful comment.It did set me to make a rework. I brought just the light yellow from the left and right a little bit more to the green. I don’t know if the image is better with this change?

Yes it is better for me.