SUMMER ZINNIAS

Took many photos of these brilliant zinnias all summer but this trio is my favorite.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

My goal was to have larger in-focus flower stand out in the composition with the rest blurred.
Processed in PS & LR

Technical Details

Micro Four Thirds Olympus OMD Mark II, 60mm macro lens, ISO 200, f4, 1/80 sec

1 Like

Lovely image, Ann Louise. I just love how the main flower has that little stigma just peeking out. Also the detail in the underside of the petals and the sepal. The two other OOF flowers create a nice backdrop for the composition. This is a wonderful reminder of the spring yet to come, at least for us.

Gorgeous!! And a nice break from winter! I love the colors – subdued but authentic-looking. The DOF feels perfect – I love repeating elements in the BG that have softer focus, and these two drop off so nicely to show their increasing distance. The neutral BG lets the flowers stand out and the hint of detail there gives a context without distractions. My only suggestion would be to wish for a bit more canvas on the left side – easy to add with content-aware fill if the original capture is that tight.

Ann Louise, this is a very pleasing image. I love the colors and the way you included the repeats of the neighboring flowers out of focus, just makes the one stand out strong. I could see this hanging on a wall!

Ann Louise: I especially like your POV and DOF choice. Nicely seen, composed and captured. Most excellent. >=))>

Thanks, Diane for your thoughts and suggestion. Here is a revision extending the canvas on the left.

@linda_mellor , @Shirley_Freeman , @Bill_Fach : Thanks for your kind comments! It is one of my favorites from last summer.

1 Like