SUMMER SUNFLOWER

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

These sunflowers brought great joy to our garden. I love the orange color and was intrigued by the constant visits from bees. They are a beautiful way to watch flowers mature and see pollinators in action. They can be difficult to photograph with a background that is not distracting. Something I will keep in mind for next year’s planting.

Specific Feedback

I welcome all comments and suggestions

Technical Details

ISO 200, 38mm, f/4.0, 1/200

Olympus Mark II, 12-100 lens

Well, Ann, you have definitely succeeded with the BG you have here. What a gorgeous photo! The sunflower’s dark red and orange are highlighted by the soft and non-distracting BG. Great choice of crop size and excellent sharpness, too.

Excellent, Ann. Your saturation on the flower really makes it intense and it just jumps off the screen. I like the touch of the bees and the pollen dusting on the facing leaf.

This is excellent, Ann. I love the orange as well. Such a beautiful flower with a nice BG. I too like the bees visiting.

Gorgeous – all said above! What a great project for the next year’s garden!

These days, if a capture is sharp enough it’s often easy to select the subject and blur the BG (with some tweaking on the mask usually needed).

@Dennis_Plank @Shirley_Freeman @Diane_Miller @EgĂ­dio Many thanks to you all for commenting. Diane, I appreciate the tip regarding blurring the background. I have several images to practice this technique.

1 Like

After you have the mask perfected by painting with the brush tool, use PS’s Filter > Blur Gallery > Field Blur. That won’t smear over the selection edges the way Gaussian Blur will. Choose several points and tweak the blur amount for each.

Ann, the latest LR version has come out with BG blur. I haven’t had time to get serious with it, but I think I read that it is AI so maybe it will make life easy when we need to just give the image a bit more oof BG.

Diane, Thank you for telling me about Field Blur. It is good to know of this tool to make it easier to blur the background.

@Shirley_Freeman Thanks for this tip. I will look for this tool in LR!

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve seen sunflowers this color before so thanks for sharing. Really rich hues and textures - keep planting them!

Hi Kristen, Thanks for your comment! A friend spotted them last year, asked to get the seeds and we split them. I’ve been photographing them every way I can think of. Tried backlit at sunset. The colors are fun to capture.