Sun, Clouds and Fog in Yellowstone's Northern Range

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I left home under heavy clouds, but found they were parting as I reached YNP, so I changed my plan of scouting for Pronghorn and Bighorn and went into the park. There was a fine mix of clouds, lots of ground fog and scattered sunlight. This is a view from one of the pullouts overlooking the Elk Creek drainage, with the Yellowstone river crossing near the middle of the frame. I’ve tried this as black and white, but prefer the color version.

Technical Details

R5, 100-500 @ 106, 1/800 s, f/16, iso 200, tripod.

1 Like

Quite the range of luminosity Mark; it works well here, as do the layers and flow. The small amount of sky at the top right distracts my eye a bit; might consider removing that with cropping or cloning.

A great view of a pristine nature with so many things to admire. The nature has given an excellent light and you have designed all the nuances of the lights and shades filling the whole tonal range. I too would cut the blue sky if possible bringing it out of the frame leaving the cloud as they are now.

I’m enjoying just the slightest bit of color in the greens of the trees and the blues over the mountains. The clear sky in the URC I think could be removed as it just doesn’t quite fit with the rest of the scene, dark and moody and very atmospheric. I love the lower fog bank rolling over the midground and the tumultuous sky. The foreground is not ideal but I think it’s needed. I tried a roll crop and it doesn’t work. Really nice and moody scene here Mark.