North edge of Yellowstone

The North edge of Yellowstone occupies part of the Gardiner Basin, west of Gardiner. This is what the area looked like on Thursday, with lots of low hanging clouds after a night with where the snow line dropped below 5000 feet (1600 meters).

5D3. 24-105 F4 IS II @ 80 mm, f/16, 1/30 s, iso 100, tripod and polarizer (which even under these conditions gave a bit more pop to the grass and sage)

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Mark, a really nice look at the first legs of winter setting in on this area of YNP. I do think the polarizer did add some nice deepening to the scene or a bit of a contrast boost or twist as it were…:sunglasses:
Looks like a couple of my favorites of the prairies, pronghorns, are foraging around in the FG brush…:+1:

Real nice view of the changing seasons and winter coming to the north. I love the mood created by the low hanging clouds and the multitude of layers foreground to back. Pretty scene.

A very realistic scene. There’s a lot of monotonal sky so I would crop off some of it. The image is also dark with color below and light above. I would try lightening the middle ground perhaps.

Mark: I like this pretty much as is and join the others in commending your use of the polarizer. I’m OK with the sky as is. Brightening the MG a tiny bit might suit me a touch better but not much. The pronghorn are a nice touch and big enough to be noticeable with careful scrutiny but not intrusive on the scene. Most excellent scene superbly captured.>=))>

Nicely composed, Mark. I love these sort of late fall conditions. The sky is a bit bright and since it lacks detail/texture I might burn down so that the eye is not pulled up to the top of the frame. Otherwise the processing looks good.

Mark, I love the weather conditions you have captured here, this is a very pleasing image. I love the way the light snow creates a dappled look on the hillsides. It took me a moment to notice the pronghorn, but they add a nice touch too. As others have mentioned, I would crop a bit of the featureless sky, and and some vignetting at the top to darken the sky down more.