The rugged Beartooths

Since Yellowstone is not accessible from the North, we did a day trip to Red Lodge, MT and the Beartooth Highway. The altitude and winds significantly reduced the smokey haze with clouds providing filtered light. That let the rugged details in this glacial carved canyon show well. Amazingly, there are lots of snow fields, presumably left over from the Spring rain/snow event that caused all the flooding. (R5, 24-105 @ 24, 1/200 s, f/20, iso 800, tripod)

2 Likes

Hey Mark!
I’ve only been to Red Lodge and that area one time but I recall being very impressed with the landscape there and wishing I had much more time to explore it with my camera. This turned out nicely. Of course the sky is a bit lackluster but I think you have not included too much of it here to detract much… might be worth darkening it (the sky) a smidge to see if it helps keep the eye drawn on those amazing rocks!

Mark, this is a very nice image. It’s is a great view for anyone who has not seen this territory to see how vast and dynamic it is. I agree with @Matt_Payne about adding a little more contrast to the sky. I also have a suggestion that you may or may not want to do. I find the big stone in the BL corner a little distracting. It looks like there is room to crop it out or darken it down. Good job.

Rugger beauty – I love the dramatic view and the atmospheric perspective of browns and blues!

The rich detail and contrast in those closer rocks is marvelous. I do think the sky, however, diminishes the image and removing it improves it to my mind. There is still that blue wedge to deal with, however.

Mark,

Terrific mountain landscape where you’ve done a great job showcasing the geology and glacial remnants.

I tend to agree with the sky comments, although I think it’s presence helps with the story, and I like the inclusion of the mountain ridge line. Maybe darkening a tad as Matt suggests.

Otherwise no nits or other suggestions. Well done.

Lon