Sun on the Pines

Original image, nothing done to it….

As the sun was coming up it was so beautiful seeing it gradually light up the pine trees on this distant hill.

Specific Feedback Requested

Does the black and white work? Did I make the lighting look ok?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D3400, 300mm, 1/320, f/6.3, ISO 400
Convert to black and white, adjusted exposure, contrast, shadows, blacks, whites, sharpened, textures, clarity

apani.hill

The b&w looks fine but I prefer the colored version. The colors are beautiful and I prefer the darkness.

1 Like

I prefer the color version too…the light temperature looks spot on and the low contrast and mildly “underexposed” nature of the scene creates a low-key look that adds a little mood. There are a row of treetops on the lower margin I’d probably crop out. I definitely prefer the color version and it’s beautiful.

1 Like

I like the B&W version, but it sorta loses the soft warm light of the color version. It really feels like a good morning shot. Nice.

1 Like

Thanks @Igor_Doncov @Jim_McGovern @David_Bostock for taking the time to look and your feedback. That’s so interesting, because I really liked the color better too but thought it might be too dark. Even though I really love black and white, it does lose something for some images.

1 Like

The black and white as rendered doesn’t have the expressiveness of the colored version. Perhaps because the light is the same across the entire image. I tried to convey into the b&w what the colored on has by underexposing and vignetting to lighten some areas and darken other ones. More time and experimentation could yield better results.

2 Likes

Thanks @Igor_Doncov! I really like what you did with it!

1 Like

The B&W is nicely done, but I prefer the color version, Vanessa. It just seems to portray that bit of fleeting soft early morning light better for me. I hope you do not mind, but I played around a little trying to bring that light out a little more. The mood is really nice here as this shows off the quiet still morning as it is before the hustle and bustle begins. Beautifully done.

2 Likes

Thanks @Ed_Lowe! I really like what you did with this. Do you mind telling me what you did if it’s not too much of trouble? Thanks!

Before I read others’ insights, I also found the color version more intriguing, with its more varied luminosity. I also played with it, as it is a very inviting scene.
First I increased the brightness of the color version for some of those areas that were already a little brighter … not everywhere, as I hoped to give the eye some paths to travel. Your color image has a brighter center that catches my eye that way.

Then converted with Cyans a little darker, and greens and yellows light.

You had a fine eye and a restful spirit to see and convey this. Hope to see more.

1 Like

Thanks @Dick_Knudson for sharing your versions of this scene as well! I really appreciate it! It really was so beautiful! Almost all the time when I see something beautiful, which is everyday, I could just watch it forever!

No, not at all Vanessa. I actually did not do a lot to the image; just a couple of tweaks; as it was pretty nice to start with. My PS skills are not the greatest so I try and keep things simple. I just raised the levels a tiny bit, then selected the dodge tool picking highlights as the range. The exposure was set at 2% to keep the change small as not to destroy that lovely first light. Then I selectively dodged the trees. I almost forgot, the brush size was 385 pixels. Glad you liked the rework.

1 Like

Put me down for the color version and looking at the suggested redo’s, I am rather liking what @Dick_Knudson came up with. Very nicely done with the image.

1 Like

Thanks for the details! I think your PS skills are great,as mine are non-existent! :smile:

Thanks @Harley_Goldman for joining in! I really appreciate everyone’s comments and feedback. It means a lot, especially since I really admire your and everyone else on this threads work! @Igor_Doncov @David_Bostock @Dick_Knudson @Ed_Lowe @Jim_McGovern ,that’s for all of you!

1 Like