Sunflower Dream

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

After taking a closer look at sunflowers, I noticed the incredible array of textures, patterns, shapes and contrasting colors.

Specific Feedback

This is a stack of two handheld images stacked in PS. There are some areas that therefore are not quite in focus. Thoughts?

Technical Details

Focus stack, two images, handheld. 105 prime, f/14, 1/125, ISO 1600 (high ISO, for acceptable shutter speed, as I was shooting outdoors, handheld)

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
3 Likes

Hi, I really like the color, especially the alternate between the blue and the yellow. The petals mix of color are very impactfull. The choice of having blue on the left and yellow is working well: I mean going from cold color on left to warm on right seems to me the right lecture of the image. Having this shot done handheld is a very nice performance.
I’m not bother by the area unsharp but more by the balance between the blue heart and the yellow petal. A bit more of the blue heart I think will benefit it. Even unsharp it will help use to move from heart to outward of petals.

Fritz, the color shifts, especially with the blue in the center, stand out well. You’ve got good details everywhere except the upper left and those don’t matter. Those also look like you needed another 1 or 2 shots for you stack. In the large view, there are sharp anthers that stand higher then the softer bits beside them, showing plane-of-focus.

Fritz: The colors alone carry this image and the textures put it over the top. One has to look for the OOF areas and I find them of no consequence. Well seen, composed and presented. >=))>

As others have noted, I had to go looking for the OOF areas and even once I find them they don’t bother me. There is enough fabulous detail in the key areas that the eye goes where it needs to. I think the crop is perfect between left and right. The yellow area on the right is larger than the blue on the left, but it also holds less detail (texture and patterns), so it feels balanced to me. I ask myself whether I feel like an image wants to “tip over” toward once side or the other and I don’t get that feeling here. Beautiful!