Sunrise at Devils Cornfield - WC #889

I’d photographed this with a wide angle to get the complete mountain range and alluvial fan areas in the scene. As I result I cropped this into a bit of a pano in the end.
I can’t say exactly what type of plants beyond creosote are mixed into all these repetitive stacks overall. But, it appears through flash flooding and high winds that the plants were all undermined throughout to cause this phenomenon.

Wista DXIII 4x5 - Schneider APO 90mm - 2stop soft ND - Velvia 50

Real nice view from the cornfield. I might try adding some contrast to the hills which might further add depth to the image. Good DV take.

1 Like

This is quite the field of “cornstalk bundles”, Paul. The details in the land look great, with the mountains and sky making a fine scene. This is a fine capture of a neat phenomenon.

1 Like

Very neat, Paul. I really like the way this works with the plants seeming to go on forever.

1 Like

Paul,

The nature story and mystery behind this cornfield is plenty enough for a fine image (and for the WC), but this is also a terrific landscape image. This is finely processed (no nits or suggestions); the light is soft and lovely.

Good call on the more narrow crop.

Lon

1 Like

Very cool phenomenon! Excellent light, detail, foreground and sky. The contrast between the mountains and the stacks makes the image work.

1 Like

Paul: A very pleasing comp for me and nice light to show the details in the vegetation. Just the right amount of sky for me with enough interest to be complementary but not domineering. Most excellent.>=))>

1 Like

An interesting phenomena and an excellent landscape, Paul! The only suggestion I have is to crop some of the dead space at the bottom and turn it into a panorama.

1 Like