Sunrise in the Aspen Woods - Re Work

Re Work:
Removed branch from LRC

I know it is hardly an aspen woods by the Colorado standards :laughing:
But this is about it for the aspen woods we have at the city limits West of Calgary.

I was enjoying an early morning walk and so these yellowish trees catching the sunlight as it was clearing the hill to the east.

I tried my best to compose the image ( ended up with a square in post that i though is more balanced)

In processing i played with the colors slightly to adjust the greens and separate the yellows tones highlights and shadows and this was the final product.

I am trying to learn to take more tree and woodland photos as i find then very intriguing and interesting as a photographic subject but it is really hard :sweat: so help out with feedback and suggestions that i can use for my next woodland/tree shot.

Do not hold back

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feed back is great because i do need to learn.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

@arefalragehi

Aref, you’ve really done a wonderful job here. I love the composition and the choice of a square format works beautifully for this image. The lighting is superb and there is a wonderful sense of depth in the shadows that gives this picture a touch of mystery. You’ve handled the colour balance very nicely - the image feels both natural and painterly. I have only one minor suggestion and that is to consider removing the dark “s” shaped branch in the lower right of the frame - it is different enough from the rest of the image to pull my eye. Very well done.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback @Kerry_Gordon
I see your point.
I have to admit that was an overaight on my part but when i was cropping it looked to me as if the large trees are talking to the little twisted one “teaching him a lesson” :laughing:
But i see what you mean it does pull the eye to the corner and ultimately out of the frame.

Gorgeous light for sure, Aref. I particularly like those couple of trees in the shade of the woods that are being kissed by the warm light. I agree with @Kerry_Gordon about getting rid of the dark branch in the LRC as it does catch the eye a little. I could also see this working with a little bit of a crop from the top, but that is more of a personal preference. Here is what I was thinking.

1 Like

Thanks @Ed_Lowe
I like the crop but to keep it square i will have to crop from the edge which i don’t think work
Not to mention this is already cropped i don’t fancy more resolution loss :sweat:

Great work on this one Aref, the light and colors are gorgeous. Your processing is very well done, the level of shadow detail as you peer into the forest is handled perfectly.

You have done a number of things well here in terms of forest photography

1. minimize distractions which you did except for the minor issue @Kerry_Gordon pointed out
  2. Look for repetition of shapes in the tree trunks to create a sense of rhythm. What helps in that regard here is that the outer row of trees has a nice repetition of shapes, but this is reinforced by having the background forest being darker, so the shapes of the foreground trees pop more.
  3. finding a good way to handle how much foreground to show at the base of the trees. In the case of this image, I really like the amount of vegetation you are showing. It helps to create a base for the trees to stand on, without having any distractions (other than Kerry’s limb).

My only suggestion for further tweaks would be to slightly burn the dark green in the ULC, I think this would make the yellow leaves stand out more.

I really don’t have much to add other than that I like your repost without that branch. It really helps tidy up the image.

1 Like

Wonderful shapes mixed with that lighting Aref.

1 Like