Sunrise is my favorite time of the day

This is a recent image from Lake McDonald in Glacier National Park, Montana. Even though I used a 3 stop soft ND filter, the underwater rocks in the bottom left were still fairly dark so I blended in a lighter exposure (for the rocks only). Other than that, this was a fairly straight-forward shot.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Tom, I love the colors you offered in this scene. The composition is strait forward but I think each element really works well and provides enough interest to hold the viewer’s attention. I especially like the light and detail captured on the log in the foreground.

Nicely done!

1 Like

Hi Tom,

Firstly, I like it. There is a very serene feel, which is calming and harmonious. The log provides some dynamics and the placement in the frame takes the edge away from a “classic rule of thirds” set up. The tonal balancing works really well, with the sky/water brightness feeling realistic and natural. The underwater rocks are there, without being jarringly so. Any brighter and the “reality filter” may start to show red!

I’m a strong advocate of the photographer themselves determining whether the image says what they want it to say. As a viewer, all we can do is feel what we feel. This may or may not be in any way in line with your intention.

It works for me, and the blending work is very nicely done. (and I’m a picky sucker!!)

1 Like

The image is very simple but I think it’s the simplicity that makes it very appealing. I like it as presented, Tom. I might clone the two bright stones to the left and to the right of the log but that’s just nitpicking.

On the philosophy side, I agree with Alister:

Thanks for sharing this with us!

1 Like

This is an awesome shot. I am also a fan of dawn photographs. The quality of light at that time of day is remarkable, and you have captured it here. I love how the log points to the rising sun, and the detail on the underwater rocks is great. Very well done!

1 Like

Thank you everyone for your comments! I truly appreciate them all.

Tom,

This is a beautiful dawn landscape. Classically composed making it a very strong image. Excellent near/far perspective and a loose, but effect “rule of thirds” composition.

Great job and choice of blending in a little more exposure to allow the viewer to see the lake bottom up front. The colors and contrast look spot on for the time of day.

Not much to be critical of here. I suppose you could shave off a little of the top sky, but that’s a matter of taste. Beautifully captured, processed and presented.

Lon

1 Like

I completely forgot I had taken this behind the scenes picture (it’s just a quick snapshot with my phone) but here is.
When I was starting out it really helped me to see these kinds of behind the scenes shots because it kind of showed me how the photographer composed the image - i.e. the camera position relative to the captured scene, etc.

Tom, it is nice to see your set up. Boots are also required unless you wade in barefoot or you have very special powers. :wink: I also see what looks like a grad filter that was helpful for this one. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

A very nice serene scene. The piece of wood works beautifully in the fg. I like how it catches some of the warm light. Blending of the stones looks natural and it must have been a good choice to do that! Great to see the bts footage too! I’ve also started to take some images or a short video of the setup and conditions, nice to see for yourself too afterwards! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Alan, I was wearing sandals and honestly the water wasn’t that cold and was only about ankle deep. :wink: I did get me thinking about getting some boots though for when it is really cold out.

1 Like

It is nice to see the set up. People are often curious about it. Once I showed a fellow photo club member the set up for a few shots, and he was appalled that my tripod and camera was sitting in 3 1/2 feet of water. My comment was: Nature will provide the shot, but you have to get to it!

1 Like