Sunrise over a Frozen Reservoir

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This photo was captured at sunrise on February 2nd of this year over a frozen reservoir at Cherry Point State Park in Aurora, Colorado. The edits are very minor in LrC – the colors were unworldly. I almost missed the shot as I was warming up in my rental car (on a business trip) drinking black coffee and waiting for my fingers to defrost from earlier photos.

Specific Feedback

The sky colors are as I remember them, but he appear to be over processed like a newbie discovering HDR for the first time. I would not give this image much attention were it not for the reflection of the sunrise in the zippered fissure in the frozen reservoir.

Technical Details

Capture with my drone – DJI MP4, 1/20s, f/1.7, ISO 110. Without the elevation of 50 feet, I could not have captured this view

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

This is a very simple but intriguing image. The sunset reflection in the strip of water is very compelling, and leads the eye perfectly into the gorgeous sky.

The image is a bit off-level, and the clouds a bit fuzzy, so I took the liberty of a small re-work. Hope you don’t mind.

1. leveled
  2. sharpened sky.
  3. took a little off the top , where the clouds are not as interesting, which also makes the sky/water balance NOT even, which is usually more ideal.
  4. added a small touch more saturation to the red water strip
    Perhaps an improvement?

Thank you! I appreciate your edits.

(I keep forgetting to level images and check the verticality of building structures due to lens abbe rations).

Charles

Beautiful colors Charles. I love the colorful fissure in the ice that leads to the sun.

Thanks Ed.