Sunrise, Skyline Ridge, Utah Badlands

I came across this image in an article several years ago and I planned several times to travel to the site, only to have the trips canceled. However, last April, arising at 4 AM and traveling 45 miles on paved road and another 6 on a rutted dirt side road, I arrived with plenty of time to set up and await sunrise. This is a stitch of 7 vertical captures, stitched together in PS. The light was perfect and I was well rewarded for my wait.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

As I stated above, this was an area I longed to photograph for years. Does anyone think there should be more or less foreground? Is the tonal range adequate?

Technical Details

Nikon D850 camera, Nikon 24-120 MM lens @ 58 mm. f 11, 1/5 sec, ISO 100.

1 Like

@Paul_Hetzel Wow. I really like this. I’m not a pro, but I think the tones look great. I like the range from the light sky and mountain top (snow?) to the dark tones in the foreground. I didn’t see anything I thought I would change about it, but maybe someone else can speak to your foreground question and I can learn as well.

I think a black and white background on a computer screen or a mobile device with colorful app icons would provide a nice contrast and be enjoyable but not distracting.

I want to add that I think it’s the tones and structure that drew me to the image. Well done.

Paul, First welcome to NPN. I am glad you finally had a chance to make this image. If you live in or around Utah, you are surrounded by a nature photography wonderland. Congratulations on a terrific image. The tonality looks good to me, and the detail is superb. You may have two images here as one subject is the badlands and the other is the majestic mountains in the background. The mountains don’t detract from the image, but you may want to recompose the image without them if you to do another shoot there. Then the mountains could be an image by themselves. I am fine with the foreground, but might crop some from the right and the top. Those highlights on the right don’t add to the image, since you have similar highlights right next to them. The foreground looks fine to me. I’d love to get back to southern Utah – its unique beauty is like another planet. I took a stab at the crop I mention.

@Paul_Hetzel. I like this photo a lot. To my eye the tonal range is great. I like the lines leading up to the mountain peak. Foreground detail and softer distant mountains gives nice depth. My only nit pick is that the bright rock in the right lower corner caused by the rising sun pull my eye away from the center of the photo. I wonder if just a slight darkening would help. Beautiful photo.

Larry- I truly appreciate your comments. You were dead on regarding the right lower corner. I had burned it in some, but your crop prevents your eye from being dragged to the corner. It truly makes it a much better image. I doubt I will get back to this particular remote area agin. I live in Massachusetts and as the saying goes, so many places to go and so little time.

Richard- thank you for your suggestion. Others saw the same flaw in the image and by cropping it out results in a superior image.

Thank you Karla. Several responders suggested cropping out the bright area in the right lower corner. This prevents your eye from being dragged there.

1 Like

Paul, this is a beautiful landscape image. I think the tonal range is very good. I agree with others about the RS being to light. Glad to hear that the crop worked for you.