Rugged Land

A sunrise look at some of the rugged badland area of Utah.

D850, 24-70mm

7 Likes

Wonderful sunrise image, Harley. Looking at the larger version provides excellent details in the FG shadowed area too. The geological erosion factor throughout provides a very long visual history of ongoing weather events. Processing is spot on… :+1: :+1:

Hey, Harley! The warm light here is amazing, the geology…The light on the distant hills on the left is a nice bonus. The only suggestion I would have is to consider cropping the bottom, I was getting caught down there a bit so I figured creating a more uniform base for the view in the distance may help. Not sure if it is “better” but maybe something to consider. Another way around it might be to bring up the shadows a bit in the mid ground so they are a bit brighter than that immediate foreground. They are interesting and some added detail there wouldn’t bother me. Those oranges, pinks, and blues are killer though!

Harley, really like this especially the FG. I think there is the right amount of it in the image as well.

Harley,
The warm light on that rock formation is wonderful as is the subtle gradation of color in the morning sky. I have to say that the geology of this area is spectacular to say the least! I could see just a little lightening of the MG as it looks just a little dark to me. This is quite the view first thing in the morning.

Really nice morning light here Harley. I love the warm with just a hint of purple to it. This image shows off the amazing geology of the area really well with that sweet foreground included. I also like the kiss of light on the low badlands off to the left of the butte with more of that morning purple hue to it. Really nice and take on this location.

Outstanding, Harley. The light on the mesa is the cherry on top but the foreground with all of that rugged texture and subtle colour, really knocks it out of the park for me. Awesome in the truest sense of the word. I imagine it must have been a humbling and sacred moment for you.

Wow! This is an amazing image, Harley! I really love how the trench or dry stream bed/ whatever it is in the foreground curves and leads my eyes through the rest of the scene, all the way to that desolate beautiful looking butte. Love the colors too and the way the light is hitting the top of that rocky butte. Really nice composition in my opinion.

The only thing I can say about this is “Amazing”. Well done.

Thanks, @Tony_Siciliano , @David_Haynes , @Paul_Breitkreuz , @Ed_Lowe , @Vanessa_Hill , @Kerry_Gordon , @Mario_Cornacchione and @David_Wallace for your comments and suggestions. They are very much appreciated.

The light at the top of the mesa is striking but I find that the sun has just barely cracked the horizon yet the sky looks more like two hours later (of course I wasn’t there, but I’ve been there at that time of the morning, so reasonable guessing). I just knocked it down about a half stop and tossed in a little dehaze so the sky more closely matched the mesa and foreground.

Thanks, Chris. I appreciate the rework. I am going back and forth and pondering the difference. :+1: