Sunrise

This is a typical early May sunrise where the air is still a bit cool but the water temp is on the rise creating lovely misty-fog.

Specific Feedback Requested

I’ve posted two crops and am curious as to which you like best.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D810, 17-35 @32mm, f/7.1, 1/250, ISO 320

3 Likes

Chris,
My preference is for the second version as I think the tighter crop places more of an emphasis on all the good stuff happening toward the middle of the frame. This is of course all subjective, but I think you could still crop a little more from both the left and right sides. I am glad you were there to capture this for the rest of us as the mood and colors are quite lovely.

1 Like

Oh this is wonderful. This has a really good graphic quality and the light is great. I prefer the first but would use a square frame. That’s because the subject is centered and an equidistant frame should look better. I would not use the rule of thirds on this one.

1 Like

Gorgeous, and very interesting!!! I prefer the second with the snag arrangement more centered. I’d hate to lose more of the mist by cropping any more from the edges.

1 Like

Powerful. Very stark, very dynamic and yet, strangely calm. The colour balance is excellent. I much prefer the first crop because, for me, it creates a greater sense of isolation, which adds to the haunting feel of this image.

1 Like

I prefer the second because there is less of the water in the foreground and more emphasis on the trees. Beautiful colors and atmosphere.

1 Like

This is quite easily one of best images that I have seen with the sun rising through the early morning fog. Both work for me.
Just a alternate thought - since the sunrise color is to the right, try cropping off some of the left - may or may not work. My 2 cents… :slight_smile:

I appreciate everyone’s comments. As to crops, I’m still undecided though I did as suggested on several different images and while each had its own merit, it just makes making a choice all that harder. This end of the lake/creek area produces some of the most stellar sunrise shots I’ve seen anywhere. Late spring fogs and mists, to October skies, one is rarely disappointed.

A great image, I love the sense of stark isolation created by the silhouettes. The gradient of color in the sky is also well processed. I much prefer the first crop. I think having the extra breathing room at the sides and especially bottom adds to the sense of isolation, and make the main trees more impressive looking. I also like the texture in the water at the bottom, and having a bit more of it adds to my enjoyment of the image.

1 Like

This is a great, minimalist landscape image. The scene is wonderful, the quality of light is stunning and captured at just the right moment. The morning fog is irresistible! Moments like this makes one want to put the gear down and just take it all in. I prefer the bottom crop, for it puts slightly more emphasis on the foreground image. The composition and color balance are excellent. Nice work!

1 Like